• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Heads Up - 2nd report from Portland

The 2007 Symposium webpage has been updated to document and capture all the new stuff that will be coming out this week. So dial in here and look for the highlighted (click-able) links near the top of the page under the heading "Highlights of the 2007 Symposium".

New links, photos and maybe even some video will be added each day through Sunday July 1.

Excellent perspective on the Japanese bowls and turning green exhibit, Ed.

Since I couldn't be there....Thanks!

There's a problem with the code, to view the photos you have to remove the "/HTML" from the address bar once you've clicked on a image.

Jason

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
  • The SIN on Segmented turning was great
  • The rotations were great
  • I took almost 100 photo's in the Instant Gallery, and only took photo's of what really struck me
  • The site is HUGE
  • The vendors have almost everything (ok not one had a Nova 75mm jaw set, I actually wanted one)
  • Off to todays on the Rose Engine...

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Ruth Niles said:
n7bsn, let me know what you think of the rose engine. My friend, Dave Lindow, designed a really cool one that's in the Stubby booth with Bill Rubenstein. I went to Dave's house and played with the rose engine and it totally hooked me. The designs you can do are unlimited, literally millions of them!

My guess (my knowledge base is small) is that the one in the Stubby booth would do a lot more, it has so many more rosettes then the one from the article/talk. But it also costs more

Ed,

Your contributions and the likewise amazing contributions of all the other AAW members makes me very, very proud to be a member of the American Association of Woodturners.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
n7bsn said:
My guess (my knowledge base is small) is that the one in the Stubby booth would do a lot more, it has so many more rosettes then the one from the article/talk. But it also costs more

How much more does it cost? I know Dave and Steve's is somewhere around $2,500, right? All I know is I watched Dave make bottle stoppers that took 10 minutes each, and they looked like intricate chess pieces. I have pictures of these on my website. I do know with all the rosettes, Dave said there are literally over a million design possibilities. It just all amazes me.

Attachments

• RoseEngine1.jpg
    RoseEngine1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 5
Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Ruth Niles said:
How much more does it cost? I know Dave and Steve's is somewhere around $2,500, right? ....

They want $2600, plus the slider (a mechanic's two axis vice), which runs $80 to $100 (plus the stand, which can be done with MDF, using a supplied design)

The one based on the article/symposium runs ~ half of that. One guy I know has about $1400 into his effort, another has less then $1000.

Of course it is almost all MDF and only really has two pattern wheels

Back