• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grinding wheel

Hello again my woodturning friends and lifeguards

Sorry to bother you again, if I have to choose one grinding wheel which one would you recommend and what grit?

Here in my country I have 2 quality options Zische 36 grit and 150 grit.(maybe one too corse and the other too fine).

thank you so much

Go with the 150. The 36 would only be good for rough changing the profile of your tool.
Pat
Thank you, im just going to confirm the Zische wheel hole size, grade and if its aluminum oxide.
Otherwise I have these options that just checked:
1.Norton wheels white, 100 grit, J grade. https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-White-Grinding-Wheel-P38C20.aspx
2. Norton cool grinding wheel, 120 grit, H grade. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...and-wheel-dressers/32981-cool-grinding-wheels
3. Norton 3X 80 grit, K grade (read is a good choice but maybe too rough). https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-3X-Blue-Grinding-Wheel-K-Grade-P101C20.aspx
4. Norton 38A, 150 grit, doesn’t specify the grade. https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Pedes...5bc6e59479&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1

The norton which you picked on Amazon would be my choice. It also comes in 100 grit which may be a better choice but I use cbn wheels so I am not the best to advise you on grit. i AM SURE OTHERS WILL CHIME IN.
Pat

The norton which you picked on Amazon would be my choice. It also comes in 100 grit which may be a better choice but I use cbn wheels so I am not the best to advise you on grit. i AM SURE OTHERS WILL CHIME IN.
Pat
Thank you so much im totally new to this I’ll check the 100 grit
greetings.

My choice would be the Norton 3X 80 grit and my second choice would be the Norton 3X 100 grit. In my opinion the 150 is too fine.
Thank you so much today I found a Makita dealer that sells 80 and 100 griit white grinding wheel here in my country those are the ones that come with the makita grinder.
I hope its a good option im worried if I import them they can brake in the way (when I received the Rikon lathe the plastic cover was broken)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Michael, in Argentina the best option is the rubber expansion wheel. You can find all the grits for metals. I like the wheel so much I got me one, I buy the sandpaper and bring it with me too. They last surpassingly long too. I can post a picture later.

Michael, in Argentina the best option is the rubber expansion wheel. You can find all the grits for metals. I like the wheel so much I got me one, I buy the sandpaper and bring it with me too. They last surpassingly long too. I can post a picture later.
Thank you so much, I just checked at Amazon and looks very interesting but im not finding 8" basically 6"and 10". I don’t know if there’s any brand that has options as well as the sanding belts.
It will be very helpful to me if you post your picture and where to buy all the accessories.
Now is another option because in Peru i just found a white aluminum oxide made by Makita they sell the one that comes with the Makita grinding wheel.

I use a lot of white wheels because they are free to me. But if I had to pay for them, I wouldn't even consider it. They wear out very quickly. Considering the price, the CBN makes a lot more sense.

Back