• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grinding metal lathe tool bits for wood?

Website
www.bellcreativeinc.com
I am going to attempt to turn some banjo rims.
I think the precision needed will be beyond my abilities since I have no real experience to speak of.
I'm planning on using my Delta compound cross slide with a metal tool bit.
Can anyone tell me (or better yet - show me) how to grind the bit for cutting wood?
Any advice or help would be appreciated.

I apologize if this posts twice.
It didn't seem to work the first time.

JBell

J,
I use square metal cutting tool bits in all my homemade tools, and they are typically ground much like a scraper. The ends are rounded, and the angle is about 10 degrees past square. That is, the included angle between the top surface and the ground bevel is about 80 degrees. Using a metal lathe style tool holder in cross slide will limit your versatility (vs. a hand held tool), but it should work just fine. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Back