• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grinder Stand Plans for Wolverine Jig

Hello,

I am new to woodworking and woodturning. I recently purchased a Wolvering Jig and need to build a wooden grinder stand preferably with some storage. Any help in finding or obtaining good plans would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rick

Hi Rick,

There are too many variables for plans.

Here are the important details on my bench.
The width is the measurement of the outside of one wheel to the outside of the other wheel plus 4".
I used 3/4" plywood so it can hold screws well.
You can dry fit the grinder plus the two brackets to determine how wide you need to make the ply.

The ply is screwed to two 2X4's which run front to back, offering some storage under the table.
The brackets are in line with the wheels.
My ply is about 6" deeper than needed and I use that to mount a lamp for a bandsaw which is behind the grinder.
The whole thing can be painted by a really expensive artist or left as is.

Sorry I can't make this more complicated :D but this is what I've used for 10 years.
Regards

Grinder Stand

I started with a metal stand from a hardware store. I found that too low. Finally I found an old piece of cabinet, 1940s style stereo I think. The grinder is at a good height for me. Mounted my bench top drill press on the metal stand.

I mounted my grinder on a piece of kitchen cabinet formica that was a sink cut out. At this point the grinder and board just rest on top of the cabinet. It is stable when grinding, yet I can pivot the grinder to gain a few inches when I need to swing a gouge. Yes, tight quarters.

John :)

Sky

Raise your grinder center shaft to the same height as your lathe center line (between the spur drive & live center) so you are grinding using the same body posture as when turning. You will get better results on both.

Multiple purpose stand

I have a Sears tool cabinet of the type that garage mechanics use. I mounted the grinder and subsequent jig on top of this. You have to allow for clearence for the tables and arm so I placed some 1" spacer blocks under a 3/4 inch piece of plywood. The combination turned out to be the perfect height and I have storage in the tool drawers.

-e-

starting today, on the far side of the moon
Website
www.Studio-E-Artworks.com
here's a link to the oneway site instructions on set-up and mounting the base:

http://www.oneway.on.ca/pdf/grind_jig.pdf

The front of the base should be flush to the front of the grinding wheel. The base must be approximately 1/2" (or less) from the front of the mounting board

The center of grinding arbor should be 6.25" to 6.5" from the base. Therefore, most grinders require a spacer block.

Back