• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grinder bearing replacement - RZ vs. RS?

My Delta grinder started making a bearing noise, coincidentally? immediately after I accidentally ground into and shorted out a lamp cord (!) that was hanging behind the grinder. Grinder continues to work fine, but now has a sort of scratchy, dry bearing sound. I just took it apart and the bearing is labeled 6203 RZ. I’m having a hard time finding that bearing, but do see 6203 RS available, including option made by Timken. I know that the letter designation refers to the material that the seal is made from. Any reason not to use RS? Thanks for advice!
1726672407191.jpeg

Lookup Motion Industries, they have stores all over the country and IME the best prices. Tell the sales person what rpm and usage and let them suggest the correct bearing.

Older machines didn't use sealed bearings in many cases because the kind of seals available back in the day caused too much friction heating of the bearings. Seals are much improved these days.

Thanks Doug! I’ve already ordered replacements and have pressed off the old bearings, waiting for the new ones. The machine isn’t that old. I bought it new in 2016, so was surprised when the bearing went, but I think I may have somehow “cooked” the lubrication when an electric charge shot through it.

My Delta grinder started making a bearing noise, coincidentally? immediately after I accidentally ground into and shorted out a lamp cord (!) that was hanging behind the grinder. Grinder continues to work fine, but now has a sort of scratchy, dry bearing sound. I just took it apart and the bearing is labeled 6203 RZ. I’m having a hard time finding that bearing, but do see 6203 RS available, including option made by Timken. I know that the letter designation refers to the material that the seal is made from. Any reason not to use RS? Thanks for advice!
View attachment 66800
Here I thought that I was the only person in the world who turned on the grinder and POW the 80 grit CBN wheel cut thru the 220 line that I forgot to reroute to make sure that didn't happen. And yes the grinder does have a different sound but so far it's just the sound but I do keep an eye on it. I suspect that the electricity may have pitted the bearings a bit. Thanks as it might be the same grinder and I'll now know about bearing number.

Just pop the seal out and put a little bearing lube in there.
I’ve been under the impression that sealed bearings couldn’t be repacked. I’ll give it a try and keep for backups if successful, as the new ones are expected today. (Just what I need, more “spare parts” to stash away somewhere!).
Here I thought that I was the only person in the world who turned on the grinder and POW the 80 grit CBN wheel cut thru the 220 line that I forgot to reroute to make sure that didn't happen. And yes the grinder does have a different sound but so far it's just the sound but I do keep an eye on it. I suspect that the electricity may have pitted the bearings a bit. Thanks as it might be the same grinder and I'll now know about bearing number.
Bill, thanks for confirming my experience! I wasn’t sure if I was imagining the correlation between grinding through the power cord (in my case a 110 volt light on the bandsaw) and new noise.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I’ve been under the impression that sealed bearings couldn’t be repacked. I’ll give it a try and keep for backups if successful, as the new ones are expected today. (Just what I need, more “spare parts” to stash away somewhere!).
Not much point to trying to repack them if the below is true....
Bill, thanks for confirming my experience! I wasn’t sure if I was imagining the correlation between grinding through the power cord (in my case a 110 volt light on the bandsaw) and new noise.
Yes, I'd imagine if you got a nice shot of 120V power @ 15-20 amps (or even 220v) running through a metal path to ground where part of that path involves what was likely an incomplete contact point,(namely the balls in the ball bearings in relation to the bearing races) there's gonna be some arcing (like an arc welder) that is going to leave spots on those highly polished bearing races, resulting in permanent damage, noise, accelerated wear leading to failure.

Yes, I'd imagine if you got a nice shot of 120V power @ 15-20 amps (or even 220v) running through a metal path to ground where part of that path involves what was likely an incomplete contact point,(namely the balls in the ball bearings in relation to the bearing races) there's gonna be some arcing (like an arc welder) that is going to leave spots on those highly polished bearing races, resulting in permanent damage, noise, accelerated wear leading to failure.
Exactly Brian. Thanks for confirming my suspicion! I’ll be out in the shop in a couple of hours and remove the seal on the bearing to have a look. I suspect that’s what I’ll find.

Back