• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Glue ups

Hi all, still gathering stuff and getting things ready. I finally finished my workbench this week and assembled my grinder. I will post a picture of it. I have not sharpened my tools yet and I am thinking I might wait for Santa to bring me the jigs to sharpen them with. I know he accidentally left it on the doorstop via Amazon and the box was not disguised. I am interested in segmented turning not just for the decorative aspect of it but for the economical aspect of it because I have a lot of scrap wood laying around and if I can glue it together into blanks that would be great. Are there any cautions I need to take if I decide to glue something up and then turn it?

Attachments

• 20221211_114148.jpg
    20221211_114148.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 39
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
if you are gonna glue up turnings, make sure your pieces fit as perfectly as possible before glue-ups for the best hold (and least obtrusive seams) Although for the most part glued joints (even papered glue joints) are pretty strong, for a newbie turner sure to get catches early and often, you'll definitely want at minimum a helmet/face shield (if you havent already invested in a PAPR). I'd probably suggest get in some practice on ordinary spindles of solid wood before getting more ambitious, unless you have already had a few lessons or an in-person class.

might wait for Santa to bring me the jigs to sharpen them with. I know he accidentally left it on the doorstop via Amazon and the box was not disguised. I am interested in segmented turning not just for the decorative aspect of it but for the economical aspect of it because I have a lot of scrap wood laying around and if I can glue it together into blanks that would be great.
Waiting for the sharpening jigs is wise IMO. Sure helps tools last longer and helps a noob get a good, sharp grind faster.

Segmenting - just make sure you dont leave gaps in you joints - lot of prep work for seg pieces. I use Segmented Project Planner software to design projects.

I started with segmenting, spent 2-3 years at it, then I bought a chain saw and stated using wet wood. I havent done much segmenting since. I found I enjoyed cutting wood on the lathe much more than prepping and gluing a bunch of pieces together with not much lathe time.

I’m not sure about the economics of Segmenting Joe; I am sure of the enjoyment it yields…..the sky is the limit only if you let it be! Tight joints make for the best looking work so pay attention to that. If you see a gap during your glue up, you will always see the gap in the finished piece; fix it during glue up. Avoid cross grain glue ups, they will likely crack over time. Join SWT like Mark noted above; lot’s of tried and true info there; free (expert??) advice abounds there as well!! Most importantly, have fun; that’s what it is all about!! It gets easier the more you do it so be patient!!

I've been thinking about doing some glue ups lately as well. Not necessarily to get patterns and whatnot but more to use up some kiln dried scraps I've been holding on to from my flat woodworking stock. I'll probably start with some pen/pencil cups. Thanks for the tip on the segmented woodturners site, I'll go check it out.

I would think the biggest risk in segmented turning would be catches. No clue as to your skill level. I would at least get several regular bowls under my belt before attempting segmented bowls. Oh wait, I don't wear a belt..... Yes, the glue joint, when properly made, is stronger than the actual wood. It does require flat and parallel surfaces, unless you are doing stave work, but still the surfaces need to fit with no gaps. But, there are pieces which have gaps all through them, intentionally. Not sure how they glue those up.... Have fun!

robo hippy

I would think the biggest risk in segmented turning would be catches. No clue as to your skill level. I would at least get several regular bowls under my belt before attempting segmented bowls. Oh wait, I don't wear a belt..... Yes, the glue joint, when properly made, is stronger than the actual wood. It does require flat and parallel surfaces, unless you are doing stave work, but still the surfaces need to fit with no gaps. But, there are pieces which have gaps all through them, intentionally. Not sure how they glue those up.... Have fun!

robo hippy
I haven't touched my lathe yet! Still have to sharpen the tools. Got the grinder. Waiting on Santa for Jigs. So no skill level yet!

Check out Jerry Bennett on YouTube. The easiest way to get great segments is to build a wedgie sled like he shows how to build. You can also buy wedges from him to set the angles. I cut my own on my CNC.

Back