• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Glue for sandpaper

I sold my Delta disk sander to create some space in my shop. So I made a 14 inch plywood disk with a threaded coupling for the spindle on my lathe, and faced it with Formica. I have a huge roll of cloth- backed SIA sandpaper that I would love to use instead of the PSA sandpaper disks that you can buy. Any ideas on what kind of glue would hold the paper onto the formica, yet still release without too much difficulty?

I use the 77 on paper backed disks. Don't love it but it does work.

On cloth backed, couldn't you use hook n loop material. Or will it get too hot and just melt? I know you can buy it on wide tape rolls with self adhesive back. I use hook n loop on some 3x4 thin rubber sanding pads I have. Works great.

I use the 77 on paper backed disks. Don't love it but it does work.

On cloth backed, couldn't you use hook n loop material. Or will it get too hot and just melt? I know you can buy it on wide tape rolls with self adhesive back. I use hook n loop on some 3x4 thin rubber sanding pads I have. Works great.
The "paper" is cloth backed but not hook and loop.
To the other responders, thanks for your ideas.

Back