• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

George Stefureac

Greetings fellow wood turners,

My turning started about 40 years ago turning metal out of necessity. I was restoring foot powered lathes for wood turning that I was collecting that needed spindles, pulleys, bushings, etc. So I started restoring and getting the foot powered lathes to where they once were. After restoration was complete an older machinist friend suggested "you should try turning wood and make something with your lathe restorations" I took up his suggestion and made a Christmas ornament of a bird house out of some walnut and maple I had and was quite pleased with the outcome. I felt the turning bug bite me. I found an old Delta/Rockwell wood lathe not very far away, I brought to the shop and completely rebuilt the lathe, I sandblasted and painted it, had the bed Blanchard ground and rebuilt the Reeves drive with new bearings all around. After completing the restoration I tied my hand at turning and this put a new feeling into wood turning for me. I turned a bunch of bird house ornaments which I away at Christmas time. I mainly turn during the winter months because of other interests I came across the AAW site, which caught my interest into looking for new challenges and new skills.
Sorry for rambling, George

Back