• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

General Symposium question

I went to the 2018 Symposium, but memory is foggy about the general schedule. I'm only going for one or two days this year, and am wondering: what day does the gallery open? Are there quality demos every single day? How much crazier are Saturday and Sunday compared to the two weekdays? Anything else to help inform my decision? PS: I don't need any tools. :)

Website
www.prairiewoodart.com
PS: I don't need any tools. :)
Says every person that has ever gone to a symposium...

Of the 3 symposiums I have attended (AAW and SWAT), each was about the same level of busy all 3 days. Admittedly, by Sunday I was pretty burned out on woodturning demos at each and every event. Sunday gets a bit slower because vendors start tear down and instant galleries close down late morning since the event is only half day on Sunday. If only going one day, I would pick either Friday or Saturday but it would be best to review the schedule of demonstrations and pick a day based on your interests.

Says every person that has ever gone to a symposium...

Of the 3 symposiums I have attended (AAW and SWAT), each was about the same level of busy all 3 days. Admittedly, by Sunday I was pretty burned out on woodturning demos at each and every event. Sunday gets a bit slower because vendors start tear down and instant galleries close down late morning since the event is only half day on Sunday. If only going one day, I would pick either Friday or Saturday but it would be best to review the schedule of demonstrations and pick a day based on your interests.
Thanks, Dwayne those details really help. I'll probably pay for the whole package now and decide later which days. It's only $130 difference in reg fee, easily offset by one less hotel day. Friday/Sat sounds good and I can leave home at 4am (eek!) and get there in time to start prowling around. Or be sensible and go down Thursday. I'm heading down the coast afterwards for a birthday vacation. Have never seen the Oregon coast.

Wonder when they'll offer more info on demonstrators....

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Thanks, Dwayne those details really help. I'll probably pay for the whole package now and decide later which days. It's only $130 difference in reg fee, easily offset by one less hotel day. Friday/Sat sounds good and I can leave home at 4am (eek!) and get there in time to start prowling around. Or be sensible and go down Thursday. I'm heading down the coast afterwards for a birthday vacation. Have never seen the Oregon coast.

Wonder when they'll offer more info on demonstrators....
Jamie, what more info are you looking for on demonstrators? The main AAW page has them listed, with head shots and at least one photo depicting their demo topics, as well as a list of their demo rotations. Here's a link to the page:
2024 Symposium Demonstrators

I would guess that more information beyond that won't be available until the Symposium Guide Handbook is published. That will have the demo rotation schedule, important for picking which day you attend, for sure. However, if I recall correctly, it will be available both online and in hardcopy, but not likely until shortly before the Symposium begins. I'm demonstrating and the deadline to submit information to include in the Guidebook is still open for us.

Since it is just down the road from me, I had hoped to go. However, when dates were first posted, I thought they said June, but now it is in May. I will be driving cross country to Maine. Have to miss it this year.

robo hippy

Jamie, what more info are you looking for on demonstrators? The main AAW page has them listed, with head shots and at least one photo depicting their demo topics, as well as a list of their demo rotations. Here's a link to the page:
2024 Symposium Demonstrators

I would guess that more information beyond that won't be available until the Symposium Guide Handbook is published. That will have the demo rotation schedule, important for picking which day you attend, for sure. However, if I recall correctly, it will be available both online and in hardcopy, but not likely until shortly before the Symposium begins. I'm demonstrating and the deadline to submit information to include in the Guidebook is still open for us.
Thanks, Donna, I should have gone back and checked again. Pretty sure Friday and Saturday will cover all I can handle!

It's tempting. It would be quite a long motorcycle trip. I'll probably pass this year. Maybe Turn on Chicago instead.

Back