• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

General 260 20 thoughts and banjo question

I'm going to look at a General 260 20 lathe as a replacement to my Jet 1642 next weekend. I'm pretty happy with the Jet but it seems like the General would be a nice upgrade and the price is pretty good. Especially considering that it looks to be in pristine shape. It's 2hp - 208/230v - electronic variable speed - and 20" capacity. What is the consensus on this lathe? Worthwhile upgrade?

It is currently missing the banjo. The seller is going to look for it but if it doesn't turn up will sourcing a replacement be an issue? I see folks using Oneway banjos on other lathes and I'm wondering if something like this is an option.

Thanks!

Kurt

Kevin Jesequel

TOTW Team
I don’t know anything about the lathe, except that there are a number of them still in use today. On the banjo, Oneway is definitely an option. They will need to know the gap between the ways on the General. A Oneway banjo will run around $300, so keep that in mind when negotiating the price of the General. If you have have a tool rest with a long enough post, you may be able to get by with the Jet banjo in the meantime. I doubt it is long enough to max out the swing on the General, but you could turn smaller stuff until you get a replacement. Of course, you wouldn’t be able to sell the Jet until then, if that is your plan.

I've had that lathe about 6 years now and like it a lot. The two weak points are the banjo and the tailstock. A upgrade to a Oneway banjo would be perfect and they do make one that will fit. The quill only has a couple inches of travel so I just work around that.

I turn lots of big stuff on it both inboard and outboard. At first I added a sandbox to the headstock and filled the tailstock leg with sand but the real answer to vibration was to bolt it to the floor.

I second Larry's comments. I had a 260 with a Reeves drive and retrofitted vfd and it was a good performer. Can't compare it to the Jet. The banjo and headstock tended to creep under load and the outboard spindle is a weird 1 1/8"" reverse thread. It is worth bolting down as the pedestals are narrow. I replaced the banjo with a Oneway and can recommend that.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much! I am glad to know a replacement isn't hard to obtain. Maybe it's a blessing that it's missing if the banjo isn't great to begin with as the price does reflect that.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
General 260 20 lathe as a replacement to my Jet 1642 next weekend.

I had a 260 for about 8 years. Its an upgrade to the 1640.
The general is comparable to the powermatic 3520
I like the general over the powermatic.
The domed headstock gives more working room than the blocky powermatic head stock ( C has improved working room)
Banjo is easier to move on the general.
Mine had the controls on a moveable magnetic base - essential for hollowing.
Belt change is quicker on the general with easy access top and bottom.

Depending on your wants the headstock doesn’t move like the jet’s

It’s a good solid lathe. Mine also had an outboard table and tool rest.
The 1 1/8 outboard spindle is undersized but ONEWAY makes that insert for chucks and vacuum adapters.

Last edited:
I'm going to look at a General 260 20 lathe as a replacement to my Jet 1642 next weekend. I'm pretty happy with the Jet but it seems like the General would be a nice upgrade and the price is pretty good. Especially considering that it looks to be in pristine shape. It's 2hp - 208/230v - electronic variable speed - and 20" capacity. What is the consensus on this lathe? Worthwhile upgrade?

It is currently missing the banjo. The seller is going to look for it but if it doesn't turn up will sourcing a replacement be an issue? I see folks using Oneway banjos on other lathes and I'm wondering if something like this is an option.

Thanks!

Kurt
I haven't used the 20" version, but I had a 260 in my school shop, and I have a 160 with Reeves drive in my own shop. I'm in Canada, and there are lots of old Generals still running fine, I think they are a great tool. I certainly think about other, newer, bigger fancy lathes, but the General does everything I need as a mostly-spindleturner. I have two General banjos, and I don't really understand the negative comments, they do everything I need. There is no creep on my banjos or tailstock, not that I have ever noticed.

I have two General banjos, and I don't really understand the negative comments, they do everything I need. There is no creep on my banjos or tailstock, not that I have ever noticed.

As a vessel turner reducing unbalanced rough blanks to round I found my tool rest rotating in the banjo and the banjo and tailstock slipping on the ways to the point I had extensions welded to the lock levers and a longer tommy bar made for the tool post holder. Those lathes were designed as spindle lathes and one would be unlikely to encounter these issues doing spindle work. Now that I have a Oneway I don't even think about them.

At the club last week someone referenced David Ellsworth recommending encouraging rust formation on the ways of a new lathe - my guess is that was related to the General he used in early days.

As a vessel turner reducing unbalanced rough blanks to round I found my tool rest rotating in the banjo and the banjo and tailstock slipping on the ways to the point I had extensions welded to the lock levers and a longer tommy bar made for the tool post holder. Those lathes were designed as spindle lathes and one would be unlikely to encounter these issues doing spindle work. Now that I have a Oneway I don't even think about them.

At the club last week someone referenced David Ellsworth recommending encouraging rust formation on the ways of a new lathe - my guess is that was related to the General he used in early days.
Interesting.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I have a 1996 General 260 (prior to the 260 20). It has 4" riser blocks on the headstock, tailstock, and banjo. I think they were using up all the old 260 castings before going to the one piece parts. It had heavy and prolonged use for the first 10 years and lighter use since than. Never had any problems - electronics, switches, bearings, etc. Added a link belt just so I didn't have to remove the spindle and left the old belt in the headstock housing (just in case). 1 hp 220v motor (wish it was a 2hp), but it has served me well 95% of the work I do. Smooth running and quiet.

Back