• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

General 25-650 lathe impressions

I've had my 25-650 for a couple of months, now. At the request of another member, here are my feelings about it so far.

Good things:
  • I was able to get it in the shop and set it up myself in about an hour. Most of that time was spent agonizing on where to put it :)
  • Everything went together easily and fit well.
  • The lathe is very solid, and everything lines up accurately.
  • The rotating headstock slides and rotates very smoothly, and is a snap to re-align when you're done playing with it.
  • The EVS is awesome. I can dial down to about 50 RPM in the lowest speed range.
  • 3 speed/torque ranges are available to suit your turning. 0-1000, 0-2000, 0-3750. Changing ranges is very quick and easy. Plenty of torque down in the low range.
  • 36 Indexing positions.
  • Quiet and vibration free.
  • Good capacity for the money.
  • It's not bright yellow :D

Not so good things:
  • If you'll be turning out-of-balance blanks, weight in the base would be a big help. The ability to dial the speed way down does compensate quite a bit for this. I haven't added any weight, yet, and I've turned blanks up to 15" diameter without any drama.
  • The only way to immobilize the spindle so you can remove a chuck/faceplate is by screwing in the indexing pin. It's a 3/8" bolt, and you've got to screw it in about 1/2". Kind of a pain.
  • No handwheel. I've never used a lathe with one anyway, so I don't care, but it may bother some.
  • Instructions could be more detailed.

It really is a ton of lathe for the money, and I'm quite pleased with my purchase. Hope this is helpful.

-Joe

Joe, want kind of money are we talking about.Thanks Mike

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Joe Fisher said:
I paid $1769 + tax at a local shop here in NJ.
-Joe

Where in NJ Joe? Turns out the local shop I was hoping would stock this lathe only sells the General line, doesn't handle the imported General International gear.

pencheff said:
Where in NJ Joe? Turns out the local shop I was hoping would stock this lathe only sells the General line, doesn't handle the imported General International gear.
Burns Factory Supply
110 State Hwy No 10, East Hanover, NJ 07936

They did have to order it. I didn't have to pay freight, since I was willing to wait for it to come in with their regular General order; about a month's wait.

-Joe

Wow, I had completely forgotten about this post.

I have since gotten rid of the General and upgraded to a Stubby.

Best of luck with yours. Let us know how you like it.

-Joe

Back