• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Gene Mohr

So where does one begin... Once upon a time... Nah... Back in the good ol days.... Nope that doesn't work either.... Hi, my name is Gene and I have a wood turning addiction... or so my wife says. It is actually her fault. She had me retire from my corporate VP job 5yrs ago. So I got a pilots license, worked on my yard, and bought a CNC router and 3D printers. All are still in use today. But, she started watching YouTube videos of people making pens, bowls and other nicknacks. So that brings me to now. I just got my little Laguna Revo 1216(it is what fits in her garage and would be playing now except UPS destroyed the stand that the lathe goes on. Now I am not a complete noob as I took wood shop in Jr High and High School, but that was almost 50yrs ago. Just was able to pick up a guood deal on some quality HSS tools and I am reading everything I can along with watching all those YouTube videos my wife has watched. Now about the only other things I need are a good chuck and a grinder. So, have I left anything off of my list? Let me know.

Welcome. My first job was in sales, covering the Carolinas. Miss the fresh seafood!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Gene. The list doesn't end, it just gets longer. Your avatar picture looks like you are wearing a parachute ... were you doing aerobatics? I did a few aerobatics while working on my commercial ticket, but flying upside down and straight down somehow didn't quite fit into to my idea of longevity ... you know the saying, "there's old pilots and there's bold pilots, but there aren't any old bold pilots."

Welcome aboard, Gene. The list doesn't end, it just gets longer. Your avatar picture looks like you are wearing a parachute ... were you doing aerobatics? I did a few aerobatics while working on my commercial ticket, but flying upside down and straight down somehow didn't quite fit into to my idea of longevity ... you know the saying, "there's old pilots and there's bold pilots, but there aren't any old bold pilots."
Bill, no, no aerobatics. Just my safety harness. I have done some in the past, but now prefer to fly to get something to eat, also have lost too many friends doing aerobatics. That saying has a prominent place in my office.

Thank Gerald. Oh I am fast seeing all the wonderous tools but I think for now I will stay with the traditional...

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
So where does one begin..
“It was a dark and stormy night”. Snoopy was a pilot and author.

is your wife turning too?

for a while I was perhaps the best turner in Annapolis, MD. Largely due to Steve Gleasner, Frank Amigo, and Joe Dickey moving out of Annapolis. This was relatively short-lived as on most days my wife Sherry was the best turner in our shop.

“It was a dark and stormy night”. Snoopy was a pilot and author.

is your wife turning too?
Now that should have been the way I started this, being a pilot myself.
No, the wife is not turning. She is a busy nurse who supports my indulgences.
As long as I make things for her she is happy. So I have a list of things to turn.
Ice cream scoop, bottle opener, a couple of new pens..
She still has 5 years before she retires and sticks to crochet and knitting in her free time
although horses have recently become a major interest for her.

Thank you for all of the welcomes. Been busy and finally got a grinder to sharpen my already dulling tools.
Next is to start turning some Christmas ornaments and a few mushrooms. I also just was given a bunch of
Juniper root ball pieces that have a really pretty red core to them. Got them drying so that I can get the rest
of the dirt off. Not big enough to turn on their own so will use these with resin and a pressure pot.

Back