• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Gallery Commission Rates

For you guys/gals who sell your work in galleries - what is the typical commission rate the gallery takes off the top?

My brother and I are going to make and sell arbors at a local nursery which is charging us a commission and I want to know if the rate we are being charged is in alignment with that of a gallery.

Thanks!

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
jimbob91577 said:
For you guys/gals who sell your work in galleries - what is the typical commission rate the gallery takes off the top?

My brother and I are going to make and sell arbors at a local nursery which is charging us a commission and I want to know if the rate we are being charged is in alignment with that of a gallery.

Thanks!
I would think that a nursery might not look at their products as art. That might make their expected retail selling price unfavorable (lower than you would like) for American made goods... Ask them what they think a likely retail selling price is and see if it makes sense to you. They SHOULD have some idea about their market.
If you are selling outright, figure out what you would be willing to take and offer them at that price and don't worry about what they will charge.
If you are putting them in on consignment, you could try to negotiate if you don't like the split they offer, but it may do no good.
MOST retail operations expect to make AT LEAST 25% on anything they sell, based on the space it takes, how much they figure the space costs them, how quickly they figure the item(s) can be turned over and how easy/difficult restocking will be.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I only deal with a few galleries but have talked to quite a few. Thier cut has been 35 to 50 percent with the majority being 40 to 50.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
JimBob,

I am not selling, but from listening to other turners, and other artists in general the split here on the Big Island of Hawaii seems to be running from a low of 35%, to a more common 50%. I haven't heard of anything more than 50%. This is all for galleries and doesn't include venues like "craft shops." I don't use those quotes disparagingly, I just wasn't quite sure how to characterize the "non-Galleries." I have to admit I have no clue what the rate is on our other islands, but imagine it is similar.

I do have few friends who produce things for sale to higher end "nurseries" and they say about a 30-35% markup, or a split on consignment is common.

Dave

40% to the gallery is what I was offered once.

I still turn for free and give it away to friends. It's a lot more fun and low pressure. :D

Out here on the left coast I've been offered 40-60% with 50% being the norm. 50% is also the general mark up that any retail store will charge.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Charlie Harley said:
40% to the gallery is what I was offered once.

I still turn for free and give it away to friends. It's a lot more fun and low pressure. :D
I just did a gallery showing... Sold two pieces. The gallery was to get 40%... If they pay me, I guess I will get 60%.
I don't mind giving the work away, I just want to choose to whom I give it.

I do a few shows a year and the rest of my work goes out to galeries and a few gift shops. If your stuff sells and sells well you're in command. If you're just starting out (selling) you have to take what they offer. I price each of my pieces at a retail price and offer the purchasing gallery a 35% discount. I have moved away from consignment work and have only one gallery where I still do that. For her I discount at 30%.

My reason behind pricing at retail is because I do the shows and can maintain a consistant price level (at least in my mind). The shops or galleries will show up and restock their shelves. If they buy it they can sell it for whatever they want but the items I consign and sell myself will be set and they are aware of that.

I've had one galery in particular that has been after me for quite awhile, calling me, sending me letters, seeking me out at art shows etc. I keep turning them down until they meet my terms. Maybe it's dirty pool but I use the consumer to pressure them. When I visit with someone from that town who really likes my product I send them to the gallery to tell them they need to carry my stuff. We're getting close! If it comes together great if it doesn't it will just be something I didn't sell at a discount!

Frank D.

Website
www.abhats.com
Gallery percentages

I've been able to hold mine at 30% without much difficulty, and unless there's a truly compelling reason (major traffic, lit display cases, exclusive clientel, etc.), I would not go higher. I once placed several pieces at a cooperative gallery in what I thought would be an ideal location with very heavy traffic of high income bracket customers. The coop insisted on 40% and my paying $175 a year for membership. Total bust - the only really interested 'buyer' in a full year wanted me to discount over 20%. That was my second and last venture into the world of coop galleries or any that insist on more than 30%. The issue is that all they provide is a location to sell and a spot to display your piece without buying it themselves. You still own it and they aren't out any money. Very seldom do they offer any assurances beyond best effort to safeguard your work, so you also have to take any losses from theft or damage. Most of the risk is still yours.

DMcIvor

AAW Staff
Website
www.mcivorwoodworks.com
commissions

I have work in 5 galleries. Commissions are 30% (2), 40% (2), and 50%. Unless I cook up something unique I will probably not stick with the 50% gallery, because it is hard to meet that rate and meet my costs. Plus, it's a block from another gallery showing my work at 40% commission!

BTW, 40% is a pretty standard wholesale-to-retail markup for a wide variety of products, not just woodworking.

Don

Back