• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Gabriel Hoff shoutout!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I just wanted to give a small shoutout to @Gabriel Hoff. If you haven’t already seen, he wrote a stellar how-to article in this month’s American Woodturner on turning one of his elegant boxes. If that wasn’t enough, he also has a nice feature spread in the member’s gallery. And if THAT wasn’t enough, he was also last month’s Artist of the Month on the World of Woodturner’s forum. Absolutely destroying it lately, Gabriel! Beyond the recent accolades, he has been a wonderful, talented, and supportive member of this forum since before I was a member. Thanks for being awesome, Gabriel, and congrats on the well deserved recognition. 😀

I agree with Michael. Nice article, nice photo spread, no surprise as we've been fortunate to see Gabriel's marvelous boxes in our gallery for some time now. I will say, though, that while I knew Gabriel was at the youthful end of our demographic, I never imagined he could have developed the skill and the eye he has in just a few years of turning. Maybe it helped that he didn't have the distraction of a driver's license when he first started. 😉 Cue Barbara Streisand and Kris Kristofferson singing "A Star is Born." (Gabriel, they were singers who sold vinyl records to your grandparents 🤣)

Website
www.ovwg.org
Wow, thank you very much Michael! This really was a awesome experience being in the magazine, the editor @Joshua Friend did a phenomenal job at designing and laying it out. You know I never really started out turning wanted to become a well known turner, I just did it to to make my mom a Christmas gift in mid 2019! Of course you know I can't buy anything at 16 years old so the support of my family has been everything, I can never repay there time and resources. I remember standing in our shop, both doors open as it was super hot that day, and not knowing ANYTHING about how to turn, just a lathe and me and my brother trying to figure it out! :D My mom actually found the OVWG and my mentor Bev has taught me everything I know. From form, to design, wood, and even some unique tips, the OVWG has been the best resource I could have asked for. And of course the Forum has given me a outlet to get my work out there, and become more widely seen. I give a huge shoutout to ALL of you who have commented and liked my work for the last three years, it really has kept me going and trying new designs and ideas!

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
@Gabriel Hoff As I mentioned to you last week, ..... just by looking at the photos and reading the captions most people would be able to make one of your boxes.
Since then I have read the full article, and found it very descriptive and well written. Congratulations!

Website
www.ovwg.org
I agree with Michael. Nice article, nice photo spread, no surprise as we've been fortunate to see Gabriel's marvelous boxes in our gallery for some time now. I will say, though, that while I knew Gabriel was at the youthful end of our demographic, I never imagined he could have developed the skill and the eye he has in just a few years of turning. Maybe it helped that he didn't have the distraction of a driver's license when he first started. 😉 Cue Barbara Streisand and Kris Kristofferson singing "A Star is Born." (Gabriel, they were singers who sold vinyl records to your grandparents 🤣)

I just read the article and it is very well written. Congratulations Gabriel.
@Gabriel Hoff As I mentioned to you last week, ..... just by looking at the photos and reading the captions most people would be able to make one of your boxes.
Since then I have read the full article, and found it very descriptive and well written. Congratulations!
Gabriel -- Congratulations! Clearly written and nicely illustrated presentation..
I appreciate the compliments everyone!! I really worked hard on making sound coherent and easy to understand.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Congratulations to you, Gabriel..... :)

I almost missed this thread because I've been concentrating on my Model A ford for the past couple weeks.....

-o-

July 14, 2024.jpg

Congratulations to you, Gabriel..... :)

I almost missed this thread because I've been concentrating on my Model A ford for the past couple weeks.....

-o-

View attachment 65559
Have you ever visited the Flathead Museum in Auburn Indiana? It's a pretty cool place to go if you're a car nut and especially if you like Fords.

odie

TOTW Team
Have you ever visited the Flathead Museum in Auburn Indiana? It's a pretty cool place to go if you're a car nut and especially if you like Fords.

I'd love to....maybe someday. :)

As I get older, I find myself very much like my parents......and stay put! There is plenty of time and solitude for reflection that way.....but, that's a whole 'nuther subject!

-o-

odie

TOTW Team
Oooooh...sweet Odie!! That shine and vintage look is amazing.

Hey Thanks, Gaberiel......:)

Orville is his name, and he can be a bugger sometimes when he doesn't want to run right.

(In the Model A Ford hobby, the owners often give their model A's a name, and most of the guys give their cars a female name.....the kind of name you'd expect out of a century old lady......but, mine is a pickup, and he just had to be a guy! I named him from thinking of Orville and Wilbur Wright!)

-o-

Back