• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Free (but broken) lathe

I have just replaced my Craftsman 15" variable speed lathe, because the drive belt within the unit's housing broke. Could be a simple problem to fix for someone with experience with machining, since the housing, with press fittings, has to be completely disassembled. I don't have such experience, so it would have cost more to fix it than I paid for it, according to the Sears repair man. So, free to anyone who wants to pick it up from my place in Elgin, IL.

Hope you didn't replace it with another Crapsman. ;)

You're in IL. I'm in NJ. I don't have a boat.

Good luck with the new machine, whichever flavor it may be.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Don't give up so soon!

grey hackle said:
I have just replaced my Craftsman 15" variable speed lathe, because the drive belt within the unit's housing broke. Could be a simple problem to fix for someone with experience with machining, since the housing, with press fittings, has to be completely disassembled. I don't have such experience, so it would have cost more to fix it than I paid for it, according to the Sears repair man. So, free to anyone who wants to pick it up from my place in Elgin, IL.

Grey:

If you can get to the broken belt and associated pulleys, could you try to simply replace the belt with one of the "segmented" belts available by the foot (assuming it's similar to a standard "A" section type V-belt) without having to totally disassemble it, and keep this Crapsman lathe as an extra "sanding" or polishing lathe? It would be worth it, if even to just mount a Beall buffing system on it, or for for use in other non-critical turning applications.

Just a thought...???

Rob

Mark- I got the Jet 1442, and from turning just one piece, I cannot believe the difference. Smooth, solid--I'm already a better turner.

Rob- It isn't a v-belt, but a flat, ribbed belt. It couldn't be anything that simple. Besides, I don't have room for two lathes.

grey hackle said:
Mark- I got the Jet 1442, and from turning just one piece, I cannot believe the difference. Smooth, solid--I'm already a better turner.

You're on your way. Next lath I predict with be a Powermatic 3520B (orwhatever letter they use) unless you sell the wife's car and buy a Stubby. :D

Website
www.workingwoods.com
grey hackle said:
I've done this fix on my Craftsman lathe (same 15" reeves drive model). It's actually pretty simple and straightforward, although the manual was not a lot of help in figuring it out. I'm not real mechanically inclined, but I've replaced the drive belt, the reeves belt, and the drive wheel over the course of time, and if I can figure it out, it can't be too hard. The only real tricky bit is removing and reinstalling the reeves drive spring, but I'd be glad to send photos and a written description of how I've done it.

This is my long-winded way of saying that a turner looking to get something a bit bigger than his mini lathe might just get a heck of a deal by taking yours off your hands. This lathe is not the greatest, but it'll still produce some nice work and provide a learning platform until someone can afford something more substantial. I bought my Craftsman lathe used from a local guy with the full knowledge that I'd be replacing it down the road. It was $300 well spent IMHO, even if it dies tomorrow. Still saving my lunch money for something in yellow, white, or black. ;)

Website
www.workingwoods.com
grey hackle said:
Vaughn--I hope someone agrees with you: I don't really want to throw it out.
Yeah, for the cost of a belt (about $40 or so...Sears is mighty proud of them) someone could get a strong starter lathe. If you happen to advertise it outside of here, and still need pics or other assistance with the belt replacement, feel free to drop me an e-mail. (I don't check in here every day, but e-mail's on all the time.)

Sears

grey hackle said:
I have just replaced my Craftsman 15" variable speed lathe, because the drive belt within the unit's housing broke. I don't have such experience, so it would have cost more to fix it than I paid for it, according to the Sears repair man. So, free to anyone who wants to pick it up from my place in Elgin, IL.

Exactly my experience with Sears the last 30 years. They charge and arm and a leg, can't get any replacement parts from the hardware store (odd sizes), then clear doesn't know anything, nor why they charged for a new spark plug when I had a new one in to machine, and the repair costs more than the item. I will never deal with them anymore and have told the Chicago office that several years ago when they got my dander up. My drill press, costing $140 on sale, had a bent spindle after 3 months beyond warentee, cost $35-40 bench fee to analyze the bent spindle I told them it had-any dummy could see that) said the office said it'd cost $120 labor to fix (after the technician told me he could do better than what his manual told him he had to charge.-upon rebuttal they said that technician was "no longer in the shop-out on the road-standard response?????) ). I told them nuts to that quote and that I'd pick it up. (so they couldn't get the parts!!!!) It was in 13 pieces. The clerk told me it'd cost more $ to reassemble it!!!!! I took off a couple of knobs and put it in the trash. Hence my scathing letter to Sear home office. :mad: Gretch

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
Grey,

Here's a link to a gentleman that posted lathe maintenance for his Craftsman.

Included are:
  • Changing the belt
  • Adjusting the belt
http://aroundthewoods.com/lathemaintenance.html

Eventhough you've moved up, you should be able to get this fixed, which means $200-300 in your pocket. Mmmhhh, craigslist.

Back