• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

FOG wood ID?

"Found On Ground" wood, Is it mulberry or possible elm?

I'm leaning towards mulberry. It's wet and not very big, just an experiment to see if it will survive without cracking. Dog dish that turned nice. Total actual turning time was less than the time it took to change the jaws on a chuck. I think I need another chuck to cut down on that irritation.

Attachments

• PXL_20240215_221226549.jpg
    PXL_20240215_221226549.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 28
I think you are right Sam, but it looks like there are already some checks/splits in it, Mulberry has always been a difficult wood for me to dry without splitting, need ample time doing that drying ;-)

Here is a smaller Mulberry bowl that shows the checking in the sapwood that I would sometimes get.

Mulberry bowl.jpg
Mulberry bowl 1.jpg

Did the little ones you show get any bigger?

I was more concerned with the rim checking. The lines shown on mine were there when I turned it so nothing I could do about turning them away. If they stay down there and not let light through I'll consider the experiment a success. :)

This was literally picked up out of a ditch by my buddy that thinks I need every piece of wood he sees. I think it had been cut with a rotary tree weed Wacker that the county uses to make toothpicks. It was a mess and I was tuning the bandsaw so it got squared up and then turned because I hadn't made a bowl in a couple of days and was getting withdrawals.

I'll just have to keep one side facing a wall. Here's the other side .

Attachments

• PXL_20240215_221313813.jpg
    PXL_20240215_221313813.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 20
Back