• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fair Market Value for my Conover Lathe

I am considering selling my Conover 16" Lathe Set as a part of downsizing my workshop. Does anyone "out there" have a sense of what it's fair market value would be? Or how best to sell it? I bought it new in 1994 for $3,065.74. It has been in storage for the last 11 years. The motor is a Leeson 1.5 hp D.C. Variable Speed 220 volt. Total weight with cast iron legs and poplar bed rails and bottom shelf is approximately 400 pounds. It is in excellent condition. The Timken rollar bearings in the head stock spindle have just been repacked and it has a new drive belt. Swing: 16"; distance between centers is unlimited but with the current poplar rails is approximately 40". Head stock spindle is 1 1/2" - 8 tpi, #3 MT with 25/32" bore through. 24 position dividing head with outboard hand wheel. Tailstock spindle #2 MT with 7/16" bore through and 3 1/2" stroke. 6", 12", and "S" tool rests. Quick release lever for tool base. I live in southwestern New Mexico. :cool2:

Can't really do more than suggest that 50% of retail is what I'd give for an iconic but obsolete lathe. They're mechanically simple and incredibly sturdy, but knowing any mistake on my part could send it to the scrapyard for lack of parts would weigh on me.

While it's a pleasure to spin on one, it's matched in swing by several sub 2K types now.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My guess is that you might expect between 15 to 25 percent of what you paid. If the MT sockets are damaged with either rust or galling, that might knock the price down considerably. The old DC Leeson motor and speed control are potentially negative features because the speed controller is no longer supported for repair or replacement (electrolytic capacitors might be bad) and the motor might need refurbishing after being in storage so long (i.e., the oil may have separated from the soap in what used to be the bearing grease, the balls and race in the bearing assemblies may have rusted, and the the commutator may need to be reground if corrosion caused by long term dissimilar metal contact (carbon on copper) since the motor supposedly has not been powered up during its storage.

George, my take from afar is that your best deal is what someone will pay you for the lathe.

You are not selling a high demand item in a highly populated area. So it you're dealing with a limited immediate market or the distant buyer who factors in shipping. Used machinery is subject to so many variable that there is no "Blue Book" for accurate pricing.

Post it on CraigsList, ebay, and other sites and see what happens. Who knows there my be someone in Tucumcari who collects Conover's and will show up at your door with cash in hand.

Best regards, Tom

Back