• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Epoxy fillings - pressure, vacuum or putty?

Hello, all. I am new to epoxy and looking for pointers. This pencil holder project started with a 6" cube of maple(?) burl. I made 7/8" & 1-1-1/2" ebony dowels 1-1/4" long: 7/8" drilled and glued first, followed by the larger 1-1/2", before turning to the 5-1/4" cylinder in the pictures.

Now I need to decide how/when to deal with the non-structural cracks/fissures in the wood. I can blow air thru some of them, others not. The largest, on the side, is less than 1/4" wide, with most of them in the 1/16" or less range, on sides and top/bottom.

I have a pressure pot, compressor and vacuum pump, and have found a suitable 6" cylindrical mold. I think that I want to force epoxy into the voids now, before turning to final shape, but unsure whether to use vacuum or pressure?

Or, should I turn to rough shape and then "putty" some 5 minute epoxy and/or CA sawdust into whatever shows up then, and turn/sand to final?

What type of epoxy should I use? I have some table top, but don't think that's right.

How is epoxy typically finished?

Thank you!

20241017_114957.jpg20241017_115023.jpg20241017_115015.jpg

Back