• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Elbo tool revisited.

I have had some time to expierement with the Elbo tool which I purchased for doing hollow forms. I have found that it works pretty good on forms that are up to 6" deep, which is disappointing for I had hoped to be able to go much deeper. I have had some problems which were corrected when the manufacturer sent me a new parts . I have never used it on turnings other than hollow forms.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
What size bar are you using on the tool. I haven't used the elbow tool but find that the size boring bar that I use affects how deep I can go before I get chatter. 1/2" is about 6 to 8" 3/4" is about 10 to 12 maybe 14 if I tolerate more chatter. The cutter size and shape also affects the chatter. I use either the Hunter tools or the 3/16" square HSS cutters.

Elbo tool which I purchased for doing hollow forms. I have found that it works pretty good on forms that are up to 6" deep,

i notice on your piano gallery picture that its dimensions are 17 x 8 so you must have a large swing over the bed of your lathe, i do not know your phyical dimensions but if you have large hands it would limit the room you have to hold the bar

i myself only have a 14 inch swing over the bed (i am gathering info on the 18/47) and of very average size hands and have done a 11 hollowing but am much more comfortable at 7 to 9 inches, without an extension which i have not seen offered i do not believe that over 12 inches is possible with the elbo tool, i have been very happy but do not have the time and experience that your piano piece leads me to believe you have :D

after attending nc symposium and listening to and seeing turnings of Jacques Vesery i am not sure that larger is better

Last edited:
John and Baitbegger, I am using 3/4" bars for HF with a 1" opening. Once I get to 6 or 7 inches I get a lot of chatter. I guess that I need more practise.
Baitbegger , I have a 3520 Powermatic.
Guys, Thanks for your help
Norm

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Norm Since I don't have any experience with the elbow tool I have to assume several things. If I assume the tool itself is solid then the problem may lie in the tool you are using or the way you are using it. Larger scrapers will cause vibration much sooner than small ones. I use a 3/16 hss cutter for most things.
Is the tool set up to cut on the center. The tool rest and the captured part of the tool should be set up so the tool cuts on the center line.
Is everything tight. If there is slop in any of the joints I would suspect that you can get more vibration.
Again, I'm basing my guesses on problems I have with a homemade version of the Jamieson system and all of these may not apply to the Elbow tool. You might try contacting the manufacturer of the Elbow tool to get some suggestions from them.

chatter with elbo tool

I am using 3/4" bars for HF with a 1" opening. Once I get to 6 or 7 inches I get a lot of chatter. I guess that I need more practise.

it may mean i do not usually try to have an ultra smooth inside while you do,
i find mesquite to my likeing because i can get a smoother inside and fairly thin also, other woods i have more difficultly, maybe thats why i turn a spout for the top to hide my insides:D i consider each turning practice for the next one, and only been through the bottom once in november:cool2:

what is elbo tool

first just check the quality of the elbo tool.it is a unique device designed to build hollow vessels on a wood lathe. It is fastened to the quill in the tailstock by a clamping system to restrain the tool in all but the horizontal plain. The cutting edge is placed in the optimum location inside the hollow form to minimize catches.juz check that it forms this criteria.

norm

norm,

check your private messages:D

Back