• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dust control - CRS

KEW

Some time ago I remember reading and seeing a photo or two of a clever strategy for blowing a stream of clean breathing air down from the rafters in addition to the normal DC pickup at the lathe.
I think it was on this forum. Does anyone remember?

I am planning to rework my dust control strategy and want to make it as good as practical. Please share your experiences with what has and hasn't worked for you.

As always, thanks for the help!!!:cool2:

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
For general shop dust control, I think the best money I have spent was a whole-shop air filter (Jet, Delta, Steel City, WoodTek, Grizzly, etc)

I start it when I am sanding, and let it run for a time afterward, as a result I have less dust all over the shop

KEW

Thanks Richard, that is the one I was after!
Rereading your write-up, one thing which many people do not understand is that you should not position the air filter to suck dust away from the source. Rather you position it so clean air blows across your work station. The DC (extractor) should get anything that is readily picked up at the source and the air filter is to get the stuff that stays suspended. I will probably take the exhaust of my air filter and use an elbow to redirect a portion of it down onto me (same idea as your write-up shows), this way I know the air blowing down will have been scrubbed.

I use the same principle of the collector pulling from open window which is LT 2 feet from the chuck, works good, I get fresh air, the air washes the motor/headstock and the piece being turned/sanded. I hve less nusinsce dust and get fresh air , I dont have an inhouse filtering system just the 2 hp DC which discharges out side to a venturie ( for large pieces ) and collection box which captures most of the dust , plus I live in the woods which helps also..

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Some time ago I remember reading and seeing a photo or two of a clever strategy for blowing a stream of clean breathing air down from the rafters in addition to the normal DC pickup at the lathe.

Sounds like a good idea, but I don't think that I would find any clean air in my attic.:D

Just kidding, of course. My only experience with ceiling mounted air cleaners is that it was somewhat noisy. If there are quiet ones around, that would be nice. I use a PAPR for my personal protection, but an air filtration system would go a long ways towards keeping the shop clean (which mine isn't).

Bill

I use a whole shop air cleaner from PSI with the DC. It has cut my dust down a lot in the shop.

KEW

I have been protecting my lungs, but am getting tired of the layer of dust on EVERYTHING, and as a basement shop, I wonder how much of the fines might make it into the house.
I installed my Air filters this weekend. Currently, I plan to run both on low while I am in the shop then set the timer on medium or high when I leave. Even on low, they are a bit noisy, but it is white noise. I also figure the noise of the filters won't be such a nuisance when I'm running the DC. I'm taking a shotgun approach to minimizing dust; however, I like to hear what I'm doing on the lathe. I may end up only using the Triton when I am turning, then switching to all of the noise-makers when I sand.
I also may end up with my trusty 20" box fan/filter for standard turning. It seems to offer the best "dust to noise" ratio. The biggest issue I have with the fan/filter is the filter loads up too quick during sanding.
I probably will reach my own conclusions in a month or two, but any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Website
www.mainebowls.com
Cheap Filtration

Kurt, I also use a 20" box fan with filter about 15' from my lathe, but am considering putting it much closer to the lathe. Right now it runs whenever the shop lights are on.

You were commenting about the filter loading up too often during sanding. That is a GOOD thing. It's better there than in your lungs or on your shop surfaces.

Don't know what filter you're using, but at a box store I got a washable filter that filters down to .3 microns. That's better than my .5 DC filter. With a 20" box fan that costs about $10 and a 20" square washable filter that costs about $20-25 I got pretty inexpensive insurance for my lungs. $30-35 total ...gave me a 3 speed system that beats the filtration level of most all DC and ambient air systems.

Jack

KEW

Don't know what filter you're using, but at a box store I got a washable filter that filters down to .3 microns. That's better than my .5 DC filter. With a 20" box fan that costs about $10 and a 20" square washable filter that costs about $20-25 I got pretty inexpensive insurance for my lungs. $30-35 total ...gave me a 3 speed system that beats the filtration level of most all DC and ambient air systems.

Jack

Jack,
The washable filter sounds pretty good. Do you have any info on it - manufacturer, where you got it, etc.?
I am using a 3m Filtrete filter, and keep my fan snugged up within 2' of my lathe and centered on the turning. I definitely does a great job of pulling all of the dust away on medium with a new filter (and even after the filter is loaded, I can turn it to high and still get decent performance). My problem is at $12 a filter it is kind of like sandpaper - it is easy to convince myself to keep using it until it becomes obvious it isn't working.
With the washable filters, I could get two and always have a clean & dry one available (I wouldn't want to have to time washing one so I'm not turning while it was drying - shop time is too precious).

Website
www.abhats.com
As a precautionary note - I've a room I framed in my basement that has no air duct openings in it, a dust collector and a dust filter with .1 micron filters. I thought this would keep anything from getting into my home, but I still can have a very thin film of sanding dust showing up on TV screens and elsewhere if I sand to 400 grit or over. Since I use that room for my mini lathe and make craft stuff there in the winter, this isn't a terribly big deal. My big lathe is in my garage 'studio' and I can sand to whatever level I want there.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... It seems to offer the best "dust to noise" ratio....

:D

... The biggest issue I have with the fan/filter is the filter loads up too quick during sanding...

Is that a bad thing?;) A "cheaper" alternative is to use your lungs to filter and clean the air.:eek: (hack - hack - gag - cough)

I used the washable electrostatic filters on my shop air conditioner (black open-celled foam-like material). It is probably similar to the ESD packaging material used for shipping semiconductors).

Back