• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Tom Hale & Rebecca DeGroot for "Walking Mushroom" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 30, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dust collection system advice

I’m running this old bag system for chips/dust collection in addition to a Rikon 450 for the fines that get through the bags. It gets a lot of it but I am still getting a lot of fine dust that settles even though I leave the air handler run for an hour or two on a timer after I am done.

Any suggestions on cost effective upgrades or is living with the really fine dust just the way it is?

Thanks,

Bob

IMG_1445.jpeg

Maybe not 'cost effective', but my fine dust issues have been greatly reduced when I installed my Oneida Supercell. I run a Rikon overhead air cleaner anytime I am turning, and run the Supercell when sanding or turning dry wood.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Replacing the bags with a pleated filter will help a whole lot. They will also stop much more of the very fine, more dangerous, dust. I an extremely happy with the ones I've gotten from Wynn Environmental. He packs in more square feet of filter material which allows greater airflow. I regard them as cost effective compared to the potential large negative health impacts, but admittedly they aren't cheap.

Maybe not 'cost effective', but my fine dust issues have been greatly reduced when I installed my Oneida Supercell. I run a Rikon overhead air cleaner anytime I am turning, and run the Supercell when sanding or turning dry wood.
Thank you but that would be great but it isn’t in the cards at the moment. I’m running a 60’s era delta lathe and I haven’t decided to totally take the plunge. With my back issues standing at the lathe is an issue.
Replacing the bags with a pleated filter will help a whole lot. They will also stop much more of the very fine, more dangerous, dust. I an extremely happy with the ones I've gotten from Wynn Environmental. He packs in more square feet of filter material which allows greater airflow. I regard them as cost effective compared to the potential large negative health impacts, but admittedly they aren't cheap.
How do the filters affect the airflow?

Thank you both for the responses,

Bob

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
The cloth bags on my 3hp cyclone type DC (not a brand name, made in the USA long ago) were so bad that the flow actually increased significantly with the Wynn pleated filters-- I could feel the difference in the wind being sucked into my table saw, for example. Used to be that whenever I turned the DC on there was a noticeable haze in the air. No more with the filters. (And remember that the more dangerous small particle aren't nearly as visible) I don't own a particle counter so can't give you other than anecdotal observations.

The cloth bags on my 3hp cyclone type DC (not a brand name, made in the USA long ago) were so bad that the flow actually increased significantly with the Wynn pleated filters-- I could feel the difference in the wind being sucked into my table saw, for example. Used to be that whenever I turned the DC on there was a noticeable haze in the air. No more with the filters. (And remember that the more dangerous small particle aren't nearly as visible) I don't own a particle counter so can't give you other than anecdotal observations.

Thank you. That’s very helpful.

Bob

Back