• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

DUN...dun...DUN...dun...DUN...dun......Jaws

Hi,
I have a Oneway Talon chuck that came with a set of #2 jaws. There are myriads of different jaw sets. I assume that #1, #2, #3 etc. refer to the jaw sizes but I'd like to understand the uses of the different types.. For the Talon chuck, Oneway has the following jaw sets:
  • Profiled* and smooth Spigot Jaws
  • #2, #3 profiled and smooth (dovetail?) Jaws
  • #2, #3 profiled Tower Jaws
  • Flat Jaws
*Profiled is Oneway's version of a serrated jaw.
Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The “smooth” are dovetail for the #2 and #3

The profiled jaws are not serrated but are similar l
The profiled jaws have a cove in the center of the separation so each jaw has two wide rounded contact areas.
This provide a superior grip to dovetail jaws on square stock and oversized tenons. - however in most cases the dovetail jaws will hold well enough

I use the smooth spigot jaws for gripping the tenons of finials.

You can do a whole lot of stuff with the number 2 jaws. They hold small bowls, small hollow forms, square stock..
Remove two jaws you can hold a length of 1x2 to turn something in the face of the 1x2.

I have a stronghold chuck, same as the talon just larger. My favorite OW jaws are the tower profiled, whichever size. The profiled jaws provide added contact surface vs a round jaw set as they are expanded from perfect circle size, provided greater useful range for a given jaw set.

The tower jaws have ~1/4” deep smooth DT at the top, then the serrations begin. They can be used as DT jaws (with a better grip beyond perfect circle) for shorter items, and the extra depth can be used for taller forms/hollowing (long tenon).

The extra height does not cause vibration. I’ve turned the same forms/wood with the std #2 profiled and the #2 tower jaws and not noticed a difference. The tower jaws provide a lot more/easier access to the foot area of forms.

Back