• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

dry skin and turning

I unfortunately have been battling dry skin for too many years to count. Earlier this year I had a couple small open cracks and of course didn't think much about it when I was turning. Well the infection that followed took 4 meds and a few months to clear up. I actually haven't turned for three months, YIKES! and just started turning again last weekend. It wsa more precautionary since the sanding seems to dry my skin out more.

What steps do you recommend to not repeat this?

I have been thinking of a couple things such as those latex gloves or possibly a "liquid" glove product.

I also keep some lotion handy but it seems a bit greasy and I'm worried about a tool or hand slip causing something too disasterous.

Ideas suggestions, comments, etc.?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Gerry

Might try lotion under hypoallergenic knit gloves w/ neoprene sponge palms and fingers. Excellent turning gloves (if still available), can pick up a dime from smooth surface. Still have last pair, maybe can still read the label if interested.

Same as for a salad bowl - mineral oil and beeswax. Otherwise known as cold cream, with the addition of a topical antiseptic and some perfume. It's a matter of keeping your own moisture in, and once rubbed in, the stuff leaves your hands a bit sticky, not slippery. Keeps my knuckles from cracking in the 30% RH that's common in a heated house in winter.

gsieracki,
I also have this problem, usually in the dry months but also if I get stuck doing drywall work…Corn Huskers lotion seems to work for me, as in non greasy. The next stuff works, but I use it after the fact (after turning) because it is a bit greasy, a little goes a long way… don’t joke me… look up www.bagbalm.com

cc

For normal dry skin, I like "Skin Therapy Moisturizing Lotion", either Lubriderm or a generic equivalent. It is non-grease and fragrance free.

I seal skin cracks with thin CA glue as soon as I notice them.

As Clifton mentioned, Bag Balm (or equivalent) is great for healing after the fact. But it is very greasy.

I use Eucerin moisturizing lotion this time of year. No smell or greasy or sticky feel and is non-irritating.

Charlie M

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've tried them all and Eucerin works the best for me. It's the finishes that make my hands crack, not the wood. I wear the blue medical gloves when I'm working with glues or finishes. That and frequent application of the eucerin lotions keeps it in check.

My dermatologist recommended "CeraVe" moisturizing cream which you can find in a good drug store. It's not cheap but it works for me and that's all I care about. I'm convinced that sanding has a lot to do with it. The dust draws the moisture from the skin. When sanding, try using either latex, vinyl or nitrile gloves depending what your skin can tolerate. It's always worse in the winter because of low humidity here in the north east.

Neutrogena hand cream is the only thing that can keep my cuticles from cracking open working the farm in the winter. I was miserable all winter long until I started using this product.

Hand protection

I was hesitant to recommend gloves, but since they have been mentioned, thats what I often use. Tight fitting leather gloves as well as the latex or nitrile ones at various times / purposes.
Be aware of course that AAW doesn't approve gloves due to safety concerns of catching them and doing damage to fingers/hand.

Another useful method of treatment:
A little lotion (your choice, or the ones mentioned on this thread) on the pad of a bandaid applied to the crack does wonders. I've found it to promote faster healing of cracks than the firstaid creams. And when turning woods that I know will irritate while having open cracks, I use a bandaid (or sealing bandage that adhers all around) and/or gloves as well as 6" dia. dust collection at the lathe.
The bandaid/lotion treatment can be applied overnight if not practical while working.

As for CA glue?
Yes, I've used it (but prefer the above treatment). Have also read that the CA we buy has an ingredient (acid base?) that causes a sting in open sores. And that pharmacies sell a version that won't sting. However, I can't confirm that. It might be worth checking out.
Incidently, I've read that CA was developed during Vietnam war to replace much surgical stitching...

T-Bird

I started using bag balm while doing concrete work years ago. Greasy, but realy works, especially if you put cotton gloves on over like at night (picked that up as a high bar man in gymnastics, keeps hands warm with increased circulation). When I sand my hands get really smooth. I apply a lot of the Mahoneys oil with pads, then wipe some of the wax on, then sand the next bowl. The hands absorb a lot of the oil and wax, leaving them baby smooth. That kind of oil works, furniture oil won't though.

robo hippy

I actually went to the dermatologist about this very problem just in the last month and half. She recommended a product that is over the counter in the drug store called Amlactin 12% moisturizing lotion. It works like a dream for me. I apply it at night before going to bed and in the morning when I get up. It has done wonders for the cracked dry skin I would get on my fingers.

Don't pass out when you see how expensive this stuff is.....sheesh, but if it works it is worth it.

Haven't seen anyone else mention it yet so, I use Liquid Skin in the brush applicator bottle. Seals up cracks well and they are able to heal.

Make sure and use the name brand. I've noticed that store brands and other brands such as Curad and Bandaid really don't work as well. I use it on cuticles and cracks.

I've also been known to use Neosporin as a hand cream before bed if it's really bad. You can put on light cotton gloves to sleep in after doing this and you'll heal right up.

Dietrich

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Have also read that the CA we buy has an ingredient (acid base?) that causes a sting in open sores. And that pharmacies sell a version that won't sting. However, I can't confirm that.

I can confirm, I use a product called New Skin, to seal those tiny cracks that we all get in the winter months. It does sting, but not for long. And once you use it, re-application does not sting.

KEW

Neutrogena hand cream is the only thing that can keep my cuticles from cracking open working the farm in the winter. I was miserable all winter long until I started using this product.

If this product is the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand lotion, I can give it a second endorsement. I used to throw pots and the clay would really suck the moisture out of your hands. This cream was the best remedy I found.

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
Confusing

I've read this thread with interest because I too have the chapped skin problem, but I'm getting as bumfuzzled by the vast array of skin care products as I am by the vast array of wood finishes. :confused:

Bet if someone had time to research it, it would be like Mexican food... only 4-5 basic ingredients that make up that extensive list of items on the menu.

Bet if someone had time to research it, it would be like Mexican food... only 4-5 basic ingredients that make up that extensive list of items on the menu.

Primary would be mineral oil. Label rules demand list by proportion, and you'll see it right up there in every one. Next will be things like alcohols, mostly large types like PEG 500 or slick ones like glycerol. Top of the list will usually have water, of course.

Last edited:
I use O'Keeffe"s Working Hands cream,
I've used about every lotion available over the years
This is the only thing that works for me
I put it on at bed time, If hands allowed to get to the cracking stage, use it a few times a day. When bad it only takes a couple of days to get it under control, then use it at bedtime.

I get it at the Big R stores in Danville IL area, but I have also seen it at CVS pharmacy, and at some fabric stores. It cost more at these places though

Try www.okeeffescompany.com, to see where to buy

To All,

Thanks! for the ideas. Mentioned were several products I recognize from my days in pharmacy. I'll have to make a trip to my local drugstore and see what they have.

looks like treatment before, during and after will be the best. Simply try until i find something that works for me.

it's either that or try to turn in a suit of armor.

Thanks!

Gerry

KEW

I've read this thread with interest because I too have the chapped skin problem, but I'm getting as bumfuzzled by the vast array of skin care products as I am by the vast array of wood finishes. :confused:

I'm sure you are right. Just get one and keep on turning!

I received several doses of Agent Orange while serving as a grunt in the northern "I Corps" mountains of Vietnam resulting in many ongoing operations to remove melanomas. Battling dry skin for 40 plus years has taught me that retaining moisture is very important. It does not prevent skin cancers from AO but it is key to overall skin care. Turning Black Walnut causes me more problems than any other species. I used bagbalm for years but it is greasy! My dermatologist recommends two products that have proven to be most effective; AmLactin used in conjuction with Derma Cerin twice each day. Having witnessed industrial accidents caused by wearing gloves while operating rotating equipment has also taught me to make sure my shirt sleeves are rolled up. Dealing with dry skin is not so bad when you consider the consequencies of mangled hands and/or arms!

Jack,
Welcome to the forum and sincere "Thanks" for your service!

You are 99.99% right about gloves. The ones I suggested are very specialized, not just any old gloves.

I can throw in another recommendation for Neutrogena. It was better than the corn Huskers for me. I used to work on cars and my fingers would split from all the hand washing. PUtting it on before I went to bed worked for me. If I put it on before work in the AM also, made it even more effective. I've since quit bustin' knuckles for a living so I don't have as much trouble. :cool2:

I've read since then that if you just applied crisco (lard) to your hands and put gloves on it would be effective too. Sounds kinda messy to me.:(

I've often wondered if that liquid glove product would help this problem. Anyone ever use it?

I really struggled with dry skin in the winter, but have found that applying "NIght Use Crack Cream" and then donning jersey gloves to wear all night really helps. I know the gloves in bed is really odd, but my hands are still "greasy" when I get up in the morning. I absolutely hate putting that greasy stuff on during the day.

Back