• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to David Bartell for "Critter Serioes #3" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 23, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dry Brush and Finish

New to dry brushing, but wanted to get the industry standard for finish on dry brushing acrylic on vessels. Is a varnish required or just a preference? I see a few options via Golden , Liquitex, etc. Id hate to not put a finish and realize its too late. Any tips are appreciated.

You have a lot less control of the depth of color if you don't put on a seal coat of clear. Dry brush on too much color on bare wood and you don't have the easy removal you have when you put on a coat of shellac. Same process as putting a glaze on furniture. I've always done that after a coat of shellac.

Like Clayton posted, no finish needed over acrylic paints. But if you do feel you'd like a finish over the entire piece I'd use one of the water based poly finishes so you don't get any yellowing from the oils.

Back