• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Double Sided Tape

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Bought my first roll from craft supplies around 1995. I got my second roll from woodcraft around 2012.
I don’t use it often. Mostly for ornament discs and pendants.

Both worked well. And Clean off with naptha.

I reuse the woodcraft for ornament discs. I can get 3-4 to stick before I have to use new tape.

I've tried several different types, mostly from local big box stores, but some from woodworking stores. I do not recommend the thick, gummy tape with threads running in it, sold as carpet tape. Thinner tape is better, and the ones sold from woodworking stores, while initially more expensive, are generally good. They also can be had in larger rolls, like for masking tape, that will last a very, very long time.

I work with double stick tape a lot. Many of my glue ups are fragile and the release factor of the tape is as important as the stick factor. I use x-factor tapes because of that.

David Marks recommended the Spectape to me, and I was shocked at how effective it is. Everything has its limits, of course, but for things like lid inlays, it's worked flawlessly, and I've used it successfully as well for the occasional modest sized piece, as long as the mating surfaces are smooth and flat.

Back