• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Does this tool exist?

I’m looking for a way to mount a bowl blank to a bench mounted, articulating vice (while the piece is still attached to the chuck or faceplate) so I can do embellishments off the lathe and not have to hold the piece in one hand and work the tool with the other.

I know about Panavise and saw something called an “IQ Vice” but I want to be able to mount the bowl to the vise while the piece is still held by the faceplate or chuck.

It would need a 1-1/4x8 male thread. I’ve tried the google but I must not be putting in the correct terms. Im sure it exists, I just don’t know the term for it!

I use the Best Wood Tools Articulated Carving and Finishing Post. Can be used in the banjo or bench mounted.

One thing to keep in mind is that the chuck itself will raise the working height several inches. So, as shown in this picture, it's desirable to have a means to lower the mounting height. For my Woodcut I made sort of an upside down banjo out of plywood to use on the lathe bed.

My prototype has served me well, but it could be simplified.

Last edited:
Well, I don't do this, but some one, can't remember who, she used to be a moderator here, used a ball hitch for a trailer and the clamp that went with it. Lots of possibilities.

robo hippy

Thank you all!
The woodcut and/or Trent Bosch tools are exactly what I am looking for.
Gotta love this forum!

I use the ProCut stand - works with all my chucks plus uses all my vacuum chucks - that’s how I use it most often, with a Reicle-Thomas rocking piston vac pump under my bench. Been using it for about 15 years now, fully spoiled.

I do like the idea of building a drop-down so I can get it to a little lower working height as mentioned and shown in one of the previous comments…going to start planning that tonight.

Last edited:
Back