• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Do you remember your first.....

bowl blank cut on a band saw?

Here's mine. Pretty easy should have been doing this when band saws were cheaper.

Only bad thing is this has been laying around the shop on the floor for months and I even killed the ants in it with epoxy a couple of times, was remembering it being cherry but so much for memory because it's stinking catalpa.

Must have been doing something right because it seemed to cut out pretty easy.

Attachments

• PXL_20240112_040117762.jpg
    PXL_20240112_040117762.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20240112_035752123.jpg
    PXL_20240112_035752123.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20240112_040346630.jpg
    PXL_20240112_040346630.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 46

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
My first band saw would have done the deed around 1982. It was a Craftsman band saw about as old as I am. Then came a Jet 14" band saw, followed by a Grizzly 16" band saw. Now I have the best band saw I've ever had. Grizzly G0817 resaw band saw.

-o-

My first band saw would have done the deed around 1982. It was a Craftsman band saw about as old as I am. Then came a Jet 14" band saw, followed by a Grizzly 16" band saw. Now I have the best band saw I've ever had. Grizzly G0817 resaw band saw.

-o-
I'm surprised I didn't get a grizzly because my lathe is a grizzly and has been good to me.

Shipping has gone up so much compared to what it used to be that I wanted something local. This one was on sale (and was a gift on top of that) so I couldn't pass it up.

I remember the grizzly 17 inch model band saw being around $800 when I bought my lathe (2017?). Might have been less even. I think my lathe was around $1700 and shipping was $100 or $150.

Well. I had a woodshop class back in high school so my first bandsaw use was back in the late 70's. Yah...don't remember! Can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday! Lol! Projects are long gone too. Lost in the hustle bustle of life.

Congrats Sam! Looks great. Now you’ll just have to figure out what to do with all the offcuts from your saw that you’ll generate. Do you burn wood? I keep a stack of half round and quarter round offcuts outside my shop door that I put in the fireplace, or make available to a few neighbors with fire pits. 1705063003047.jpeg

Website
www.ovwg.org
I think we bought ours in the spring of 2019. The band saw was the first tool we ever purchased and is kind of what got this turning thing going. But let me tell you, I was 15 years old and my brother was 14 so we kinda didn't know what we were doing haha! :D

yes because it was just a few months ago. Bought a used 14 inch Rikon, took a bandsaw safety class, then cut my thumb on it the first time I used it alone, now in a corner waiting for someone with experience to guide me a bit more while I hope to retain all 10 digits. This is a couple weeks later. Fortunately the saw went behind the nail and in front of the bone, so I held it together for a while, took some antibiotics, and has healed well, though tip still a bit numb and I had to cancel a couple weeks of surgery. IMG_4805.jpeg

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
then cut my thumb on it the first time I used it alone
Glad that you did what appears to be minimal damage.
A friend who was an experienced bandsaw user cut the very tip of his thumb off. He was cutting pen blanks.
Repetitive cuts require continued attention. It can get hypnotic. Cutting and cutting without focus the thumb can closer and closer to being in the blade path. Then it is in the blade path….

The most important safety rule is never push a body part toward the blade.
When cutting thin pieces use a push stick.
Working with an experienced person is good!

Don’t work when tired. Keep focus on the blade.

Last edited:
yes because it was just a few months ago. Bought a used 14 inch Rikon, took a bandsaw safety class, then cut my thumb on it the first time I used it alone, now in a corner waiting for someone with experience to guide me a bit more while I hope to retain all 10 digits. This is a couple weeks later. Fortunately the saw went behind the nail and in front of the bone, so I held it together for a while, took some antibiotics, and has healed well, though tip still a bit numb and I had to cancel a couple weeks of surgery.
I met a woodworker who told me this accident story. He reached around the blade on a running, very old saw that didn't have the front guard around the blade. He felt a little bump and realized he had cut himself. He bent his elbow to look and the skin slipped over the elbow and he was looking at bone. After collecting himself a little he made his way to the front stoop of the house, sat down sweating, and called 911. An image I can't get out of my head.

My first bandsaw was a little PM that would cut 6 inches high. For several years I used my 'chainsaw chopsaw' which came fairly close to cutting parallel sides on a blank. then I got a Laguna 16HD which cut slabs 16 inch high max, which is fine because I never go over 14 inch diameter. I get slabs that are almost perfectly parallel, so no worries about cutting circles with an uneven blank and getting the blade trapped in the cut...... Hate that. It is a huge time saver. Some day, I will build better infeed and outfeed tables for my big saw.

Never cut with a dull blade! I ended up getting 2 stitches in 2 fingers from trimming a small piece with a dull blade and pushing too hard. Lucky the damage was only as minimal as it was.... No tendons cut, no bone exposed....

robo hippy

OK, I guess I’m just old. Bought my first bandsaw in 1977. Went to an estate sale and paid $30 for the Craftsman bandsaw, $30 for a Craftsman 4” joiner, and $5 for a brand new Craftsman router. As Archie Bunker would say, those were the days!

Back