• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Design on the Fly!!!

Website
www.beyondbark.com
This bowl is actually the top of a destroyed vase. I picked up this piece of Tamarin from a local supplier who had already roughed it into a semi-cylinder to allow for better dry time. I don't usually buy roughed out blanks but he was having trouble selling it and gave it to me for $10. I chucked it up and created a rough vase shape but as my cuts got closer to center on the bottom half there was a preexisting crack and my gouge buried into the crack and off came nearly 1/4 of the vase. Bouncing off the wall and narrowly missing my head. Anyway the wood was too nice to scrap so i parted off the broken section and make it into a bowl instead.

Size: 6" tall X 8" diameter. Finished with 4 coats of Poly.

Comments Welcome!

Attachments

• Tamarin1s.jpg
    Tamarin1s.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 304
  • Tamarin2s.jpg
    Tamarin2s.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 305
It's nice lookin as a bowl, not a total loss.

Back