• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Delta 76-714 help converting to digital control

Howdy....first time poster out here.
I've been playing for some time and using a Delta 76-714 - 14" variable speed lathe.

I'm posting out here to see if somebody can direct me to convert the lathe to a digitally controlled version. I'm looking for tips on 3/4-1hp AC motors and digital controllers. I know nothing about them yet so figured I'd ask here...

Anybody have tips?

Why am I doing this? Well, the 76-714 has a major pulley defect. It has bitten me 2 times now and I'm waiting to see it Delta will provide a new pulley yet again. The problem appears to be a very weak pulley (it's mounted to the variable support lever). This pulley receives a ton of stress both when running and when changing the speed and tends to fracture near the axis, resulting in the pulley grinding against the pulley support. This is now the 2nd time this has happened (fixed under warrantee the first time round). But since the replacement part is the same as the production part...it will fail again, I have no doubt!

The rest of the lathe is fine and converting to a new more powerful motor and digitally controlled will hopefully fix my problems. I can't quite afford the next step up in lathes.

I recently put a variable speed drive unit on my homade lathe. It has a 5 hp 3 ph motor with an LG var. speed unit that I found on ebay for 350 bucks. between that and and the pillow blocks and belts I sank about 800 bucks into it. I just read a post about a vector drive, sounds better. I had to get my electrician to hook up, and download the manual which is 300 pp. It is designed to mix things like chemicals at one speed, at one torque, for x amount of time, and then change speeds, and torque etc. thru a cycle, so they have alot of options. For woodturning I wanted the shaft torque to the max, and speeds capable of 10 to 20 rpm, as the turnings I am making are on the 36" x 36" size. Hope any of this helps.:cool:

Website
www.woodstoppers.com
Typically the var spd controls you see on the market are 3 phase motors with a variable frequency drive (VFD) unit that allows you to change speeds. There might be a way to do it with the motor you have though. I would suggest taking into consideration the $ you will spend and what the resale of the lathe is now. maybe you will be closer to a machine that has var speed already built in. I think you will void the warranty doing this which is also a consideration, especially since you have had a cpl problems already. Personally, I had some problems with that machine too and needed new bearings twice, a new spindle, all new pulleys.... you would hate to go through all the work and cash only to find that you void the warranty in the process! Just a thought... otherwise, Good luck!!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I would second the notion to sell that lathe after you get it running correctlys and buying a new lathe. These lathes have had a bad reputation for years. I haven't seen a variable speed drive that will work with that motor but there could be one. Trying to find a 3 phase motor that will fit on that lathe will be a little tricky.

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
I used to have a 46-715 Delta. I'd second the recommendation to sell. That lathe is really intended as a spindle turning lathe and not meant to take the abuse that a bowl lathe will be put through.

Although not a VS, Nova has a lathe that slows down quite a bit and will take the abuse. There are a lot of others like Jet or Powermatic that will do what you need. Unfortunately they are expensive, but you may also be able to pickup a NOVA 3000 that has been converted to Variable for about 1000.

Below is a link to a lathe comparison provided by the AAW. It should help you consider all your options before jumping into a conversion.

http://www.woodturner.org/resources/LatheSpecs.pdf

Back