• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Deer Antler Pens

I have a blank ready for turning my first deer antler pen.

Does anyone know a good finish or finishing technique for this material? Presently, on hand, I have some Myland's Friction Polish (which I just recently purchased but have not tried yet) and some HUT wax sticks. I had some other pen friction polish but JUST ran out.

Website
www.michaelvickery.com
I have a blank ready for turning my first deer antler pen.

Does anyone know a good finish or finishing technique for this material? Presently, on hand, I have some Myland's Friction Polish (which I just recently purchased but have not tried yet) and some HUT wax sticks. I had some other pen friction polish but JUST ran out.

Ian I am not positive on this, but I do not believe most people but a finish on antler. I think it is often treated like acrylic and just polished.

antler pens

I have made lots of deer antler pens and I find that CA tends to work best as a finish. Mylands works well also but wears off rather quickly. Some people prefer the initial finish to be soft and absorb the natural oils from from their hands so as to have a natural patina but I like a gloss. I made myself a pen/pencil set from blood wood about a year ago and finished one with CA and the other with Mylands. The CA one still looks new and the other has turned from bright red to almost black. Personal preference thing. My $.02

I find that if I use a good sharp skew for the cut, that the finish is super smooth. I then use the friction polish that I use on acrylic. It polishes up very nicely. I have used this method on all types of antler with good success.
Good luck.:)

thanks

thanks for your input.

I ended up turning the pen and simply giving the wax finish. I got toffiguring after my initial post that the antlers worked well for the deer from a number of years so it didn't need much help from me :)

Usually I use CA glue as a "sealer" coat on wood but thought I would skip that here. I was surprised how glossy the pen was after turning (a little raw) but sanded it with micro mesh up to 12000 and it had a nice sheen to it at that stage. So just did the wax thing.

It looks nice but won't know for some time whether it will weather the wear and tear of usage.

It is always fun to try new things.:cool2:

I have never turned antler pens but... Yrs ago I used to trade antlers to a fellow who made antler jewelry -- Bolos, belt buckles, pins, etc. He said that the jewelry would turn dark if not exposed to sunlight. He said not to put the stuff in a drawer or jewelry box. Well I have a belt buckle that stays on top of the dresser but much of the yr the shades are drawn to keep the hot sun out and my belt buckle has started to gray. I also have a antler reel seat on a flyrod I built 4 yrs or so ago. It stays in a rod case when not in use and so far I have not noticed it darkening. Is it the finish or the light I don't really know. Just something to consider --- don't put them in a drawer?

Just finished turning some antler pens with my wife who is the pen turner in the family. If you have any of the marrow showing through the turning, it is a good idea to seal this with CA. You need to seal the porous material, to keep out the oils from ones hands. We then sanded through 600 grit at high speed to keep from sanding any natural antler low areas. We then used the wet sanding pads for acrylic followed by Hut Acrylic polish at higher speed, applied with a soft cloth, not paper towel. The pens turned out beautifully. As for long term wear, I am not sure, but they really looked nice when finished. Good luck with yours.

I also have a blank for turning deer antler pens. It's been lying out in my front yard all morning waiting for the State Highway Department to pick it up!:mad:

Back