• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

David Skidmore

Hello, everyone - thanks for letting me join!

I've been turning for around 5 years now, although for much of 2022 and 2023 I didn't get much done. My GSP puppy couldn't leave me alone for more than 10 minutes at a time... she's almost 4 years old now and will spend time with me in the shed. The other thing I spend time on (other than my job) is videochatting with my 20-month old grandson. I live in Southeastern Virginia on the Chesapeake Bay and just joined the Tidewater Turners group.

I like doing smaller things - bowls, cups, toothpick holders (although I use one for my daily pills), some crochet hooks and most recently started doing ring holders. I like doing both bought and found wood. Trying to work with the live edge can be a bit challenging. I think the largest bowl I have turned is about 9 1/2 inches. I really need to like the look of the grain on a chunk of wood

I use a variable speed entry-level Wen lathe with a NOVA chuck. I use both carbide tools (especially if using uncut wood) and a self-sharpened set of hard steel. Here's a sample of a few projects I've done. The large yellow-ish bowl is canarywood, and the other is from a local cedar tree a neighbor offered me 2 years ago. Both of those are ~8" in diameter. The Koa ring holder is from a piece of lumber I got from a recent trip to Kauai.

Attachments

• 8 inch canarywood bowl.jpg
    8 inch canarywood bowl.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 8 inch cedar bowl.jpg
    8 inch cedar bowl.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 10
  • ring holders.jpg
    ring holders.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Hooks-1.jpg
    Hooks-1.jpg