• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dana Paul

Website
tamperista.com
Hi to everyone, from Ithaca, NY. I've been making pool cues and custom espresso tampers since 2010, but had not attempted any complex spindle shapes or patterns before attending a turning workshop at Philadelphia Furniture Workshop with Mario Rodriguez in 2016 (that long ago?), and I was fascinated. Back in my shop however, I did not make room in my schedule for any new pursuits or skills until this year. I'm now rebuilding a J-170 from a school, and apparently following directly in the footsteps of many on this forum. I'm an avid reader/video watcher, and I look forward to learning a great deal, and contributing eventually, should anything interesting happen locally. Some of my tampers can be seen at https://tamperista.com/. Regards, Dana. (That's me on the banjo, back in my horseshoeing days.)

Attachments

• DSC05145_4698_edited-1.JPG
    DSC05145_4698_edited-1.JPG
    620.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3400 (1)-1.JPG
    IMG_3400 (1)-1.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Borromean Ring Tamper.jpg
    Borromean Ring Tamper.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Welcome, Dana. Interesting niche you have there. You'll find lots of very helpful people here to answer whatever questions you have.

Website
tamperista.com
Welcome, Dana. Interesting niche you have there. You'll find lots of very helpful people here to answer whatever questions you have.
Thanks for the welcome, Kent. It's not easy to come up with a question that hasn't already been discussed here, but I'm curious about the details, and not afraid to seek wise counsel!

Website
tamperista.com
Welcome to the forum. You might also look into a local turning club. Beautiful tampers maybe some details on how you do that would be interesting.
Hi Gerald. Thanks for the welcome, and for the kind words about my tampers on Tamperista.com

I'd love to post a few pics sometime exploring my processes, but most members here would recognize the iterations of design: solve the execution problem: repeat!

I've been for the past couple weeks enjoying a restoration project on a J-170 lathe, and I'll post a few pics soon.

Dana,
Welcome to the group! I’m on the south east side of canandaigua lake. I’ve tooled around the forums for a bit now, very worthwhile! Lots of interesting folks here that love to share their knowledge. -Dan

Website
tamperista.com
Dana,
Welcome to the group! I’m on the south east side of canandaigua lake. I’ve tooled around the forums for a bit now, very worthwhile! Lots of interesting folks here that love to share their knowledge. -Dan
Hi Dan. You're just a couple of skips and a hop over the hill, in the heart of the flx!

I've learned a lot in a short time just reading through the threads whenever there's time available. Maybe I'll run into you in person some time: do you ever get over to Ithaca?

Hi Dan. You're just a couple of skips and a hop over the hill, in the heart of the flx!

I've learned a lot in a short time just reading through the threads whenever there's time available. Maybe I'll run into you in person some time: do you ever get over to Ithaca?
Yeah not too far away. I don’t get to Ithaca as much as I would like to anymore.

Website
tamperista.com
Hi Bill,

I appreciate the welcome! I'm currently restraining myself from posting half-finished progress reports on a J-170 that I'm squaring away and learning to love, as well as pics of latest work, shop views, etc. All in due time, as I'm thinly-spread, and barely have time to check in on the forums for about 15 minutes a day.

Thanks, Dana.

Hi to everyone, from Ithaca, NY. I've been making pool cues and custom espresso tampers since 2010, but had not attempted any complex spindle shapes or patterns before attending a turning workshop at Philadelphia Furniture Workshop with Mario Rodriguez in 2016 (that long ago?), and I was fascinated. Back in my shop however, I did not make room in my schedule for any new pursuits or skills until this year. I'm now rebuilding a J-170 from a school, and apparently following directly in the footsteps of many on this forum. I'm an avid reader/video watcher, and I look forward to learning a great deal, and contributing eventually, should anything interesting happen locally. Some of my tampers can be seen at https://tamperista.com/. Regards, Dana. (That's me on the banjo, back in my horseshoeing days.)
Welcome Dana! It looks like you are bringing an already significant knowledge to our woodturning world. I look forward to reading and viewing your handiwork.

Website
tamperista.com
Hi Michael. Thanks for the note, and the welcome. I confess that much of my experience is tangential to what I've seen here, but I hope to claw my way to competency, in due time!

Back