• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cyclone

I have seen a few people on YouTube say it is not worth getting a cyclone to add to your dust collection. In my opinion it is well worth it. It was so much easier to get my 3 inch rubber palm sander when it got sucked in the back of the lathe a couple of times. My 55 gallon barrel is half full and the bag on the dust collector bag has less than a cup of dust in it. Very happy I went this route.
IMG_0641.jpegIMG_0642.jpeg

Rusty, your cyclone is designed correctly. I can see that they made a considerable effort to handle the airflow correctly. Those who say a cyclone is not worth it, has not experienced one that is correctly made and installed. I designed mine to take into consideration aerodynamics. Almost nothing makes it to the filter.

...the bag on the dust collector bag has less than a cup of dust in it. Very happy I went this route.

I also only have had a half cup of dust that ended up below my filters after 15 years and countless (in the hundreds) garbage bags full of shavings and dust separated by the cyclone.

I also run a fine dust particle counter whenever I'm in the workshop and I know without the slightest doubt from its readings that my cyclone setup is highly efficient and no fine dust is escaping it.

Those that post on YouTube are a mixed bunch and anything seen there should be viewed with caution. My first question whenever there are claims on YouTube on DE performace is can you show me your particle counter readings to support your claims/assertions.

Note: My cyclone has a full size 3:1 cone ratio and 6" ducting (per Bill Pentz' specs).

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I have seen a few people on YouTube say it is not worth getting a cyclone to add to your dust collection. In my opinion it is well worth it. It was so much easier to get my 3 inch rubber palm sander when it got sucked in the back of the lathe a couple of times. My 55 gallon barrel is half full and the bag on the dust collector bag has less than a cup of dust in it. Very happy I went this route.
View attachment 55078View attachment 55079
I have a shop-made cyclone separator followed by a shop -made cartridge filter. The latter uses a replaceable cartridge meant for a large diesel engine.
Virtually no dust reaches the filter.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I don't have a filter on my system, it vents outside my shop after the trash can cyclone collector. I only get sawdust blowing outside when I let the trash can get too full. Which does happen from time to time. When I hear chips hitting the impeller blades on the motor I know the can is full.

Only way to go. My first DC was on a rolling cart, and had just the impellor blade and a cloth bag that filtered down to 0.5 microns, so when it first inflated, there would be a puff of dust. Went to a centralized Oneida system. I bent the blades on the small DC several times from things getting sucked up accidentally. The filters almost never need to be cleaned out, though I used to use the drum sander a lot.

robo hippy

I have a Clearvue and can't say enough about how much cleaner my shop air is. I measure air quality using a Dylos pro monitor: http://www.dylosproducts.com/ornodcproair.html

When I sand on the lathe using a dust pickup going to the cyclone my shop air quality improves drastically. I figure if the quality gets better with lathe sanding, the DC is doing a great job.

From doing tests of air quality using different machines in the shop I can tell you any kind of sanding produces the most small particles that are hazardous.

I don't have a filter on my system, it vents outside my shop after the trash can cyclone collector. I only get sawdust blowing outside when I let the trash can get too full. Which does happen from time to time. When I hear chips hitting the impeller blades on the motor I know the can is full.
I don't have a filter either. My lathe has a collection box with 4" outlet. This goes to the cyclone. Pulling on the cyclone is a 4" greenhouse exhaust fan that vents directly outdoors. Never noticed any wood shavings or dust in the flowers below the outlet.

I have a Clearvue and can't say enough about how much cleaner my shop air is. I measure air quality using a Dylos pro monitor: http://www.dylosproducts.com/ornodcproair.html

When I sand on the lathe using a dust pickup going to the cyclone my shop air quality improves drastically. I figure if the quality gets better with lathe sanding, the DC is doing a great job.

From doing tests of air quality using different machines in the shop I can tell you any kind of sanding produces the most small particles that are hazardous.

A particle counter of any make is IMO an essential piece of woodturning workshop equipment. They don't need to be the expensive industrial hygienist models for our purposes to to tell us how much of the fine hazardous dust we are breathing and how efficient our DC system are working. An economy model PM2.5 particle counter is sufficient for our purposes.

Sanding on the lathe produces the most hazardous fine dust of any woodworking activity as it is the most difficult to capture at source. It's the <2.5μm/cubic metre particles that they say are the bad guys for your respiratory system.

This is what I'm reading in my workshop before I begin working and turn on the cyclone...

PM2.5 5003 sensor 2 - baseline inside WS.jpg

And, this is what the reading is typically while sanding with the cyclone running...

PM2.5 5003 sensor 9 - sanding- DC on.jpg

BTW, because I run the DC whenever I'm working in the shop it is often has cleaner air in there than outside...

PM2.5 5003 sensor 1 - outside WS.jpg

Back