• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cyclone dust collector

Website
www.johnbentonstudio.com
:confused:Need Help !!! Which would you recommend for a 20 x 24 shop? I am ready for a new dust collector and debating between the Shop Fox 3HP and the Grizzly 3HP. The Grizzly is less expensive and wondered if anyone had any experience with it, and is it worth the differance? Thanks for any help in making my mind up which way to go. Any other suggestions are welcome. Turn For Fun and don't eat the dust.

G

Gary R Webb

I have the Grizzly 3hp no regrets also have other grizzly tools all do the job very well:D:D

I have had a Grizzly 2hp for the last 10-15 years. It has served me well. I use it on wood dust on bandsaws, belt grinders, wood lathe, table saw, jointer, and steel dust off the knives I make. I am very satisfied with how it has worked.

other thoughts

I recently stepped up to an Oneida cyclone from a portable 2 HP of a brand now out of business. The Oneida has surpassed by expectations on my jointer planer and table saw. The price is steep for the collector and for the duct work but I have not at all regretted it.

I'm still rolling my old 3/4 HP 450 CFM Delta around the shop. Has a 30 gallon can, which will allow about 30BF of planing beginning to end, and the same power at any machine to which I hook it. Always was a problem, even in a "big duct" shop like the one at school, trying to get a balance. That colored my decision more than my wallet in deciding on an individual tool machine.

You want all the vacuum you can get if you're lifting the stuff to an overhead ductwork system. Don't need half as much if you're pulling it downhill. CFM should show @ some PSI in the specs.

Website
www.abhats.com
My 2 1/2 car garage is a bit larger than that and I've a 1.5hp Craftsman Pro with garbage can setup to make it two stage. I upgraded it to the finer particulate bag several years back, but haven't had any problems or issues otherwise. I use two industrial floor fans when the weather's warm enough and just blow stuff out the open door most of the time, so I can't say I wouldn't need something larger if the shop were enclosed.

The biggest issue I've seen or experienced with these things is the standard bag set usually is only good for larger than one micron and that leaves a lot of 'stuff' floating around.

I have had my Oneida system for 5 years, and wouldn't have anything else. A friend got a Grizzly and had all sorts of problems with it. He now has a Oneida. They make the best systems out there period. They have all sorts of smaller systems with a cyclone, and the pleated paper air filters, to fit any shop size.
robo hippy

In addition to the above, Oneida will help you design your entire system, including the ducting. I don't know if they charge extra for this, but it's nice to know it's available.

My shop is a similar size. I've been using a ClearVue CV1400 for about 2 years. It is 5hp 1ph and is very powerful. Since using it I don't have sanding dust anywhere as a 6" piece of flex hose stuck in front of the lathe gets everything.

I have a 6" duct under my contractor saw with nothing else. There is never any trace of dust under the saw. The support for ClearVue products is outstanding.

Note: be very cautious of CFM claims. Almost all are marketing hoaxes.

Highly recommended.
Burt

YUP, Onieda is the way to go. Had mine now for 3 yrs. Had previous systems all the way from the basic shopvac to the General 2HP. Both of these either get in the way or you are tripping over the hoses. They can only really handle one m/c at a time. Called Oneida. Sent them my shop layout of where each m/c was. They sized the Cyclone, gave me a detailed ductwork layout with a complete bill of materials. My choice to buy the ducts myself or go with them. I elected to do one stop shopping and have had no regrets whats so ever. The system performs very well. Exceeds my expectations. Only downside.. I have to empty the barrel. :) However, I'm now selling the bags of shavings for bedding of livestock!! So it can pay for itself!!

Website
www.johnbentonstudio.com
YUP, Onieda is the way to go. Had mine now for 3 yrs. Had previous systems all the way from the basic shopvac to the General 2HP. Both of these either get in the way or you are tripping over the hoses. They can only really handle one m/c at a time. Called Oneida. Sent them my shop layout of where each m/c was. They sized the Cyclone, gave me a detailed ductwork layout with a complete bill of materials. My choice to buy the ducts myself or go with them. I elected to do one stop shopping and have had no regrets whats so ever. The system performs very well. Exceeds my expectations. Only downside.. I have to empty the barrel. :) However, I'm now selling the bags of shavings for bedding of livestock!! So it can pay for itself!!

Thanks, Bob, I guess empting the barrel means you have had a lot of fun filling it up. Turn for Fun, don't eat the dust!!!

John

Back