• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cutting vase in half for wall hanging

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I have a 13" black cherry vase that split up the side from the bottom. I'll usually do a black or colored fill on cracks like this but this one is bigger than most so considering cutting it in half top to bottom and making a matching set of wall hangings out of it. I've seen pictures of them but never done one. Any tips on the process appreciated. Thinking is sanding first, reshape the bottom to more rounded look, then cut in half and apply finish. Not sure how to put a backing on it. Some thin recessed hardboard maybe? How to create a recess for the backing will be a challenge. Not 100% sure that's what I'll do yet but interesting opportunity to try one.

In the past I've also made 3 leg stands for them with one leg covering the crack and the stand fixed to the vase so it's permanent but the shape of this one doesn't really match a stand profile.

I saw one of these recently at a club meeting. The half vase, now sconce was laminated to a larger oval backboard of a contrasting wood. Believe the vase/sconce was maple, and the backing sapele. Looked great for what it was. Exact same scenario you are talking about. The cut side of sconce was simply flattened and face glued to the back board.

I have found clear contact paper very handy for pattern making, for multiple projects. Cut an oversize piece, lay it down flat and remove the backing so sticky side is up. Set your piece on it, then you can pick it up and trace the outline of the inside shape. (fine Sharpie marker) Then you can stick the sheet to your thin plywood and cut out a piece that fits perfectly inside and glue in place.

I’m not sure you need this part of the process Randy…pretty basic jig. The art of sneaking up on exact fitting inserts starts with patience. Thinner means less work. Of course, your best work is done at the most visible portion. if this gets hung high enough, no one sees anything….usually my last resort, lol!!

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpeg
    IMG_1113.jpeg
    599.4 KB · Views: 39
This is an important part of the jig. I hot melt glue the vessel at the throat. I glued the taped area as it is finish sanded at this point, it held nicely!!

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpeg
    IMG_1118.jpeg
    428.6 KB · Views: 27
I have a 13" black cherry vase that split up the side from the bottom. I'll usually do a black or colored fill on cracks like this but this one is bigger than most so considering cutting it in half top to bottom and making a matching set of wall hangings out of it. I've seen pictures of them but never done one. Any tips on the process appreciated. Thinking is sanding first, reshape the bottom to more rounded look, then cut in half and apply finish. Not sure how to put a backing on it. Some thin recessed hardboard maybe? How to create a recess for the backing will be a challenge. Not 100% sure that's what I'll do yet but interesting opportunity to try one.

In the past I've also made 3 leg stands for them with one leg covering the crack and the stand fixed to the vase so it's permanent but the shape of this one doesn't really match a stand profile.
Randy, I don’t think you need a backing for it. Mount it to a mirror and it’ll look like a whole vessel! And you can then put other turnings or store-bought seasonal things in it!
This is a photo of what I donated to the SWAT three-for-one raffle this past August. I started the ‘clay pot’ as two pieces with a paper joint, but cutting your vessel in half and then sanding it flat will work the same way. The middle and left flowers are whole turnings (fully round), and the flower on the right is a half flower glued to the mirror. I used E6000 glue. It worked nicely. Be sure to put a finish that matches the vessel’s finish, on the cut edge after you’ve sanded it flat and before you glue it to the mirror. That way, the appearance will be more continuous. I bought a “full length” mirror at the big blue home improvement store, for something like $8, and cut it to fit my store-bought frame.
I owe some of this process, and my finished display, to Rebecca DeGroot, with whom I consulted before I brought it to SWAT. And then, to top it all off, she wound up winning it at SWAT that night in the drawing!

Attachments

• IMG_4811.jpeg
    IMG_4811.jpeg
    467.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4812.jpeg
    IMG_4812.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 17
If you have not cut it yet, do not cut it dead center. Only cut off about a third. Take a pic, print it out, with a piece of paper, block it different amounts. You can also cut it to lean forward at an angle so when mounted on the wall, you can see the top a little. It will be more interesting.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Thanks for the ideas. I'll consider the mirror look and the idea of cutting at an angle so it tilts out a bit is also interesting. Although splitting in half, and the crack runs straight up the side in only one place, gives me a two for one matching set outcome.

Back