• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cutting Acrylic Acetate Blanks

If you're talking about something like Lexan or other acrylics, should not be a problem. I've cut that with a bandsaw, table saw, radial arm saw, power miter box & jigsaw and have not had any problems. I tape the joint before cutting to reduce the amount of material that might melt back together due to heat but other than that, nothing special.

Paul

I don't know what size blank you are referring to, but I cut pen blanks on my band saw all of the time with no problem. Just be prepared for the fine strands of acrylic it produces and throws into the air instead of dust.
Richard

Website
www.ispinwood.com
hcbph said:
If you're talking about something like Lexan or other acrylics, should not be a problem. I've cut that with a bandsaw, table saw, radial arm saw, power miter box & jigsaw and have not had any problems. I tape the joint before cutting to reduce the amount of material that might melt back together due to heat but other than that, nothing special.

Paul

The tooth count/style, and how sharp, makes a difference in how well it'll cut; with or without creating heat and clogging. I've cut quite a bit with a table saw and find that a 40 tooth raker works pretty well as long as you keep the material moving. I've only cut small pieces on my small bandsaw using an 18t. Anything more than about an inch of cut and it starts to clog. On the other hand, the 3t blade on my big saw rips right through these small pieces but it is quite grabby and leave a ragged edge.

I just cut a 2' pattern for the duplicator the other week. I taped both sides and cut it with a 4 tpi skiptooth blade in the bandsaw. Minor touchup with a file in some the fine detail, and it was ready to go. It was out of 1/4" lexan. I normally use a 60 tooth blade in the other saws.

Paul

Website
www.woodchipshome.com
You shouldn't have any problem, just don't push too hard as sometimes the last little bit will chip out. I usually cut mine on the mitre saw with a freud plastics blade.

My LOML was needing some templetes for her quilting last week and I picked up a sheet at Lowes of 1/8" Lexan. They sold me a special cutter - a joke, glad it was on $2.99! I gave up on the cutter on the second cut and turned on the bandsaw and went to work. I left the plastic protective coating on until I had finished cutting - kept me from needing to tape the cut area. A few minutes later she had her templetes - had a couple of curves I needed to smooth with a file and sander but other than that they had better edges then the cardboard punch out ones from her books! IIRC the blade is a 6tpi but I would have to get into shop tonight to check the package it came in to be sure.

I'll remind her of this operation next time I need more toys - I mean tools!!! :cool2: :D

Wilford

Back