• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Crappy Chainsaws

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
A friend cut down two very large old ash trees this past week, I go over to cut some blanks from the felled wood and realize my little Poulan Woodshark (14 incher) is gonna be way underpowered for this job. We go the Home Depot and get the Poulan Pro 20 incher - BIG MISTAKE - crappy construction, wouldn't idle properly, just a poorly made saw. Back to the Depot - exchange it for the Poulan Pro 18 incher - EVEN BIGGER MISTAKE - this P*S seized up so bad the pull cord will not pull out at all and the drive sproket is froze ? So this "saw" goes back as well. Ya does get whats ya pays for - LOL :D

So, advice needed - Husqvarna OR Echo OR Stihl ? - am through messing around with sh*tty equipment. Funny thing is the little 14 inch Poulan Woodshark, several years old - works great - company must not make their own saws anymore. I just want a saw that starts easy and is well made.

Anyway - what do you guys use and would you buy it again or something else? :cool2:

Thanxs

-- John

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like asking "would you buy it again" isn't going to be very useful information unless it was bought very recently. I have a Poulan pro (16") that I bought a couple years ago. Starts on first or second pull every time. Runs flawlessly. Sure there are more powerful saws, but this thing has done everything I've asked of it and refuses to die.

Based on a lot of comments on Poulan saws over the last year, it sounds like all the recent improvements to the Poulan saws were primarily focused on improving Poulan profits. Sadly this seems to be the case in too many of the woodworking brands these days. Good product lines get bought out by companies run by accountants who milk the brand name.

My next saw will be a Stihl (unless something better comes along before the Poulan dies).

Ed

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
chainsaws

About everywhere I read the Stihl and Husqvarna are running about neck and neck. From there, service would be the decision maker. If service in your area is about equal, flip a coin. I have the Stihl, and saw with a smile on my face every time. Hopefully helpful, Max

I too have a Poulan Pro (20" model) and it works great and I've had it a couple of years. I have used the big Stils and they are great saws, you won't be let down by their preformance but, if they get flooded, you pretty much have to wait till the next day for them to start.

Got a husque and most friends around here do also. Seems to be availble and popular. I treat my little 16" poorly, regularly cut 2+ foot logs with it, mill, kill chain after chain on rocks, use 2yo gas, etc. etc. Starts on 3rd pull even in dead winter. If my wife would let me, I'd sleep curled up around it.

Have heard similar thoughts from folks with Stihl.

What does your closest neighborhood hardware and repair place sell? Let that be your guide between the two.

Dietrich

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had a poulan. I wouldn't buy another one. Around here there is a lot of logging and everyone owns either a Stihl or Husky. I bought a Husky and it's been a good saw but think I'll move up to a Stihl on the next purchase.

I bought an Echo at Home Depot a number of years ago when my Stihl died late one Saturday afternoon and everyone else was closed. The Echo has been a reliable performer. It is close, but not quite in the Stihl/Husky class. I still prefer my little Stihl, but I use them both, particularly when one gets pinched in a cut. :eek:

My old Mac "Eager Beaver" (el cheapo) finally died after 15 years of fairly regular use. For me it's always the teeny carburetor that's built like a swiss watch that becomes unrepairable.

Anyhow, bought an 18" Echo CS440 (not el cheapo) because my 25 year-old Echo trimmer still started easily and made as much power as when new. After a year of occassional use the Echo saw starts readily, runs and idles well. It's maybe a tiny bit underpowered, but not seriously. For ref. my 245 hp. pickup could use another 50 or so, but it cruises effortlessly at 80 and will run well over 100, so it's not seriously underpowered.

Really wanted a bigger saw but not physically able to handle the weight for more than a minute or two, so would have been unable to limb and cut up a tree in one session with a big saw.

Also for ref. I use fuel stabilizer in all small engine fuel all year 'round. And have seen more favorable posts for Stihl recently than for Husky.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
So, advice needed - Husqvarna OR Echo OR Stihl ? - am through messing around with sh*tty equipment. Funny thing is the little 14 inch Poulan Woodshark, several years old - works great - company must not make their own saws anymore. I just want a saw that starts easy and is well made.

Anyway - what do you guys use and would you buy it again or something else? :cool2:

Thanxs

-- John
Any of the three would probably be good, BUT... Don't buy at a big box store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The name is on the case, but the guts are no the same. Most of the sellers at the big box stores couldn't tell you the difference, on a BET, but check the numbers (they will be hard to find, and/or difficult to compare). There is more than one "grade" of Husky, and I assume it's the same for others... In order to bring in the name at a price, they make a cheaper product. If you are not a professional or going to use it on a professional level, it might be fine, but if you need it for a REAL job, as in this case, they don't do the same work.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Buy from a dealer

Buy from a dealer. The chain saw is one thing I recommend buying from a dealer.

A dealer will gas up, run the saw, and tweak the tuning before you leave with it. They may show you a trick or two and they can help you get the right saw.

I own a Stihl 440 with a 24'bar. It is a great saw. I had a 20" Poulin for five years. only had one problem and James at the farm store got it running again. When I wanted a bigger saw James fixed me up at the contractor price.

Dealers may charge a bit more but you'll be happier.
I'd buy a Poulin from James before I would buy a Husky from a Box store.

happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
I had the same problems with the regular Poulan's. After all they are made by the Electrolux company. the pro series is better but still . . . The only problem with the Sthil is that only Stihl dealers can repair or get parts for them. Try NPEC www.npeco.com for good prices on a Husky. Usually they throw in an extra chain.

Check out Baileys for Huskys. They are a catalog logging supply store. I have had two Huskys - one is about 22 years old - still runs fine. I purchased a new Husky for a backup saw this last year. The Husky and Sthils cost a bit more - but will run forever. Just do not let gas sit in it for a long time without running it. If you are going to let it sit for the winter months or something like that - run the gas out of it. Or better yet - run it about every day or 2 or 3. Get a couple of extra chains also. I also have a small Sthil and an old 051 Sthil with a 42" bar that is great for really large things. I do not run the big saw enough though. 20" bar is great for most.
Hugh

" Never ask a man what type of chainsaw he has. If it is a Stihl, he'll tell ya. If it's not, you don't want to embarrass him." ;)

Last edited:
Chainsaws

Hi, I bought a Husky Rancher two years ago, used it like crazy for a couple of days, let it sit for 8 months, it started right up. It has started everytime since, and I even used it for some finish cuts on some cedar beams (12" x 12") for a porch project. When I bought it, some of the folks I know said Husky in the smaller sizes, Stihl in the larger sizes.

Chain Saws

You guys just do not learn!!!! You buy crap (Poulan, Husky, Echo, etc.) you're gonna fight them to cut wood!!!! The big box stores do not give a hoot. The Stihl dealers sell the BEST, and if you have a problem, 9 times out of 10 it is the user, not the saw. I have run them all over the last 40 years, and I swear by (not at) Stihl!!! All the others are anchors for fishing boats. You fight your "good deals" out in the woods, and I will be cutting wood. I feel better now (grin).:D:D

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
use the DCO with care

Our club had a great chainsaw demo by fellow who taught safety course for lumberjacks.

He went over the parts and when he got to the bucking prongs,
He said the guys in the northwest with 6 foot bars call this the DCO.

"what's a DCO"

Dull Chain Override.

happy turning,
Al

Choosing a Chainsaw

My company did fire-hazard reduction (cutting brush and small trees) and I ran the crew for many years. We changed from Husky to Stihl, only because the Husky dealer went from father to (stupid) son.

We usually had 6 or 7 saws in the field with us, and owned 8 to 10. These saws were run 7 hours/day, all year long. The sawyers replaced chain...never sharpened them...(our Stihl dealer sharpened up to 50 chains/week) this, to keep the saws in constant production.

I cannot think of any use for a chainsaw that could be any rougher than this. The Stihls were great, and the dealer very knowledgeable and helpful. In the early years of California Emission control requirements, the Stihls from the factory ran too lean, and we fried a couple of them within a week of use. Replaced for new, and "modified" by the dealer to correct for factory settings, we never had another problem.

Stihl seems to always be out front with the "little" conveniences, like the new ones with tool-less chain adjusters. Saw for saw, they do not cost more.

Hope my experience helps!

Website
www.bowlturner.com
You guys just do not learn!!!! You buy crap (Poulan, Husky, Echo, etc.) you're gonna fight them to cut wood!!!! The big box stores do not give a hoot. The Stihl dealers sell the BEST, and if you have a problem, 9 times out of 10 it is the user, not the saw. I have run them all over the last 40 years, and I swear by (not at) Stihl!!! All the others are anchors for fishing boats. You fight your "good deals" out in the woods, and I will be cutting wood. I feel better now (grin).:D:D

Hello Mr.Don,

I am curious when you say Husky, are you talking about Husqvarna? If so I have been very pleased with mine. I have both a Stihl and a Husqvarna and find both to be great saws. But there is a pro line of Husqvarna and a home owner version. I have the pro model.

Only ten or eleven years experience, but I do try to learn, :)

Best wishes,
Dave

I believe the guys who say their years old Poulon saws are pretty good. I bet the "new" Poulon saws that everyone hates are made in China.

I was on Shanghai a while back and Eletrolux (their parent company) was having a big sourcing conference and later I saw chainsaws (various super cheap brands) being reverse engineered (copied) at several factories.

Stick with Stihl.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
What kind of chainsaw did you use to cut it?

Ed
From the sounds of this thread, if he used a Poulan it's probably balsa wood...
Otherwise, it LOOKS like it might be elm (to me - just a GUESS).:cool2:

I went through a couple of Poulans 20" saws cutting blanks. It did me well for the price, but gave out on me about 2 months ago. I took it in for repair and learned a lot about these saws. The repair person told me that Poulans and the like are built to run about 50 hours. The biggest killer for them is excessive vibration. That was what had killed mine, vibration causing a crankcase break that was unrepairable. She told me that Stihl and Huskies are built to run 300 hours, so quite a bit of difference in construction. Many run much longer. I ended up with a Shindaiwa 488 and am very happy with it so far.
ED

A friend cut down two very large old ash trees this past week, I go over to cut some blanks from the felled wood and realize my little Poulan Woodshark (14 incher) is gonna be way underpowered for this job. We go the Home Depot and get the Poulan Pro 20 incher - BIG MISTAKE - crappy construction, wouldn't idle properly, just a poorly made saw. Back to the Depot - exchange it for the Poulan Pro 18 incher - EVEN BIGGER MISTAKE - this P*S seized up so bad the pull cord will not pull out at all and the drive sproket is froze ? So this "saw" goes back as well. Ya does get whats ya pays for - LOL :D

Thanxs

-- John

Hi John. I think any of the three saw woud be OK. Have used the Echo. 20 inch bar for 15 years. Also use the Echo Power Blend Universal 2-stroke oil. The oil has the fuel stabilizer allready added in the oil. Also use it in the garden tiller. Have no problem with saw or tiller storage twelve months of the year.

I had a Homelite XL that lasted me (cutting no more than a cord of wood a year) for 20 years. Now I understand they are sold by Lowe's and/or Home Depot. I would not buy from them, as they do not service what they sell.

When I needed another saw with a 20" bar and the power to rip, I checked around. I could not find a tree service company in my area that used anything other than a Stihl. I bought one. You have to be careful, however. Do not buy even a Stihl that's made for the "weekend warrior" market. Stay away from the models that are advertised in the newspaper supplements. Cheap saws are made cheaply.

BTW, I've found that grinding the chain at 10 degrees (suggested by a Stihl factory representative) gives me a faster, cleaner rip. Be sure your saw has an anti-kickback feature.

Welcome

Hey Robert Cook,
Welcome to the forum!
Glad to hear that your Echo has done well, and thanks for your support of the use of fuel stabilizer. Started "degunking" a leaf blower this morning that has not run since before I started using stabilizer full time.

Will chime in from time to time on how my 2 year old 18" Echo is doing. The 25 year old Echo trimmer won't start, for the first time ever. Think it need a new sparking plug.

Seems to be a lot of emotion around chain saws, even more so than lathes. Is it a machismo thing? Just wondering.

love my stihl

I have a stihl with 20" bar and my buddy has one just like it. They work great every time. I gave my pouloun away. We called it the one tank wonder. It would run one tank of gas and then not start again until a couple of hours later or next day. I trully believe if you buy from a dealer you will get better results and service.

Vernon

Back