• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Craft Supplies Green Disks

Website
www.studiocsh.com
Apparently CSUSA is no longer carrying their 2" and 3" green disks, which I think were the best I've ever used for the money. Does anyone have an alternate source for this brand (or even know what the brand was to be able to track it down?). The person on the phone at CSUSA either didn't know or wouldn't say.

Thanks!

I don't know. However, I prefer the blue discs from Vince's WoodNWonders. I like the over sized discs, and that blue stuff is 'best buy' to me. Good price, and most long lasting abrasive I have ever used. I know Vince has some green discs also. Ken Rizza at Woodturner's Wonders might have the green stuff also.

robo hippy

I used the blue discs from Vince for years, and on one re-order, got the green ones instead. Vince can apparently tell a difference in the discs, though I could never understand the explanation of what it is. In my hands, they're the same, as far as I can tell. It's all good.

Website
www.ovwg.org
I don't know. However, I prefer the blue discs from Vince's WoodNWonders. I like the over sized discs, and that blue stuff is 'best buy' to me. Good price, and most long lasting abrasive I have ever used. I know Vince has some green discs also. Ken Rizza at Woodturner's Wonders might have the green stuff also.

robo hippy
I use Vince's blue discs. Just met him today at the OVWG setup. Really nice guy. He said they are introducing a new red disc that is better and more aggressive then the blue so lookout for those.

I can't remember who said it, and I have forgotten the math to figure it out, but a 3 inch disc has more than double the surface area that a 2 inch disc has. I do have some 2 inch discs for smaller pieces, but almost never use them.

robo hippy

Website
www.studiocsh.com
Thanks all for the suggestions on alternatives, and the tangents on pi, it does remind me of the time an art consultant tried to convince me that an installation with 18" discs wouldn't be that much more work than one with 12"-14" discs...

Mike from CSUSA gave me a call back just now and gave me the source for these in case anyone else is looking:

Reed,
2 3/8 discs have an area of 4.428 square inches
3 3/8 discs have an area of 8.94 square inches

As for Pi, I like blueberry.

At one time I had compiled a spreadsheet cataloging the differences among the various sandpapers Vince stocks. If I remember correctly, the difference between the green and blue discs is that the green ones have a sterate coating. This supposedly prevent clogging with resinous woods or paint/shellac coatings. I have never noticed a difference in using the two, but I find the color difference helps me keep track of the various grits I use. The discs from Vince aren't generally labeled so you have to physically keep track of the individual grits.

Some one shared it on face book, but, "If you are in a pie eating contest, who cares if you win or lose? You get to eat pie!"

Thanks for the Geometry lessons..... An old high school teacher, first day in class called it "gee, I'm a tree". Now, you will never get that out of your heads, and look where that lead me..... Okay, I went there all by myself....

robo hippy

I don't know anything about judging abrasives by color...

Way, way back in the day I had an Italian made thickness sander (same function as the current crop of drum sanders only better). Being Italian it took belts with metric dimensions, there weren't any common inch sized belts that could be substituted.

What I had to do was buy from companies known as "converters". They make custom sized belts. The converter I used was Jet and Western Abrasives in SoCal (nothing to do with Jet machinery). I would call them, explain what I was sanding and they would make a recommendation on abrasive and belt type (paper or cloth backed, etc). Back in the day converts only sold through industrial distributors, so it was a matter of getting the recommendation and asking who their local distributors were in Seattle. Belts came within a week or two.

Converters are limited to a certain extent. They buy raw abrasive stock from manufacturers like 3M, Norton, etc. Some of the proprietary super abrasives like 3M Trizact were not available because 3M wouldn't sell to converters. You can buy direct from 3M, etc, but they usually have high minimums and long lead times.

Custom sized belts were priced about what you would pay for an off the shelf belt of comparable area of abrasive.

I only bought belts from converters, I assume round discs would also be available. Get a group or club purchase together.

Back