• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Craft Shows & Credit Cards

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
I did a forum search on this topic and the most recent info was from about a year ago. With the speed technology changes these days I thought I'd start a fresh thread.

I've finally been given an opportunity to participate in a craft show come August and want to be prepared.

Who's taking credit cards at Craft shows and what service or mechanism are you using?

Greg, I have the same concern same month , and have not found a reasonable answer yet($) big bucks to start out , nearly 400$ for aportable reader with MC. plus 2.5% + .30 per trans action up to 3000$ at Paypal. the wireless stuff goes at over 600$.plus transaction fees . If I had a web site making money i would go paypal as they have alternate ways to work other than one's web site, but the 20$ monthly plus trans fees are too much for me for a one or possibly two time shot at craft fairs.Right now I am looking for a company to piggy back for the two shows, ( aug and nov) . so it will be cash or ???? which could limit my sales as I need at least 1000$ in sales to cover my start up cost and stock resupply...If you run into a good way to go PM me.

hey guys, check out:

http://www.propay.com/

i've never used it, but a bunch of folks over at the penturners forum use it for craft shows. i believe it allows you to call in credit card orders from shows, so there's no need for a machine.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
If you are only going to do one or two shows a year, don't take credit cards. For a long time, it was cash or check only, know were the ATM's are in the area that they can get money from.

The main reason is the startup fees and the monthly fees when you aren't doing any business. Since the bank card company make a percentage of each transaction, with most processors you need to do a certain amount per month for them to get paid. Less than that and you get hit with the minimum fee.

You may want to check into costco and sams, they have fairly competitive rates as well. The banks only want larger accounts.
I do about 4 shows a year, and at the shows only use a manual machine and then process the cards when I get home on my electronic machine. You will likely have the option to phone in the card if you are afraid it isn't going to go through.

Three letters that seem to allow impulse buying with only a modest inconvenience. A-T-M. I set aside for payment and pickup, and spot the ATMs before setup for the unfamiliar.

Website
www.abhats.com
Merchant accounts

That's what they are called, and everyone seems to be offering them. It's almost impossible to compare them as they all charge differently.

When we first started selling at art, craft, wine and music venues, we tried the cash & check only method. I figured we had to have at least a Visa/MC account and got one through my local bank. They'd just sold thier merchant accounts off to a national provider, but we did get a good deal.

All that you'll need can most likely be provided by a 'dial-pay' account. Your manual card imprinter shouldn't cost more than $25, and the monthly fee will probably run around $10. Where they get you is with per charge or per call fees, and the percentage they get for each transaction. You will have to call in one or more transactions and punch in all the numbers. That can be time consuming, but isn't all that difficult. This system has served us well with around a dozen transactions a day. Every now and again we have a show that hits twenty or so, and then I start thinking about one of those wireless or internet terminals. They cost too much though.

Call Midwest Transaction Group. Give them a call their website is http://www.midtrans.com/ No contracts. Monthly fee of $5 plus transaction fees on your sales. If you have no sales you pay only the $5. I am very pleased. for a portable card scanner they have a refurb that is about $300 that stores the transactions at the shows and then when you get home you send them in on the phone. I have bee pleased with the rates and the service. They deal with a lot of crafters and have a very personal touch. ONe on one. When I got set up I talked with the vp. His name is Chuck. If some one is interested email or pm me and I will give you his cell number. They have great service. The first show that I used it at I had some questions and wasn't sure what to do and called them on a saturaday. They have someone on call 24/7 and I was called back within about 5 min. and the person walked me through my questions. I am very glad that I have gotten it and it has already paid for itself after 2 shows. I do less than 10 shows a year and I feel that it is money well spent. Worth the investment.
STacey

Edit: this is a wireless terminal but it stores the numbers while you are at the show and then when you get to the hotel or home you plug it into the wall and it dials an 800 number and send the info to them. It is a battery operated unit and it was worth the price. They alos have the nuckle buster but the rates you get when you send in the transactsion arnt quite as good over 2.5% compared to around 2% with the card reader.

Last edited:
My wife and I both use ProPay for our side businesses via a laptop with a broadband cellular card. There is a fee involved for each transaction, but especially in her's (jewelry sales) the extra sales more than make-up for the cost.

To avoid the extra broadband cost, I know a few people who take credit cards "on trust" and then enter the info to propay via their home ISP. They are selling special-order products, so if the card is not approved they are not out any product/money.

I was introduced to propay about three years ago. It was the company a successful vender at a market I frequent uses. In that time I not be dissatisfied or disappointed. I have only had one "bad" card and it was from a fellow vender who warned me that it might not go through. It didn't, I called, I got a good number. If you are not the trusting type, you can call it in and get approval, right then and there. If i sold jewelry, I would definitely want to know right then. However, I haven't seen many wooden bowls in pawn shops. Though, the other one mentioned earlier might be of interest. I'm getting less trusting as I get older.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Using Credit Cards

I have been using Propay for credit cards for 3 years now. I use a knuckle buster slide and I've never taken a bad card (knock on wood).

I feel that I have made sales because of my ability to take the credit cards. In fact, I did a show last month, where a woman was interested in an item that I had for $30. She said she didn't have that much cash on her, and wanted to know if I would cut the price for her. I said "No". She came back an hour later and bought the item using her credit card. Yeah, it cost me the % to take the card, but she wanted me to cut the price by 50%.

I have the Bruce Baker CD's http://www.bbakerinc.com/ about doing craft shows, and his message about taking bad checks or bad credit cards -- that if you run into them often -- you're doing the wrong shows. People that frequent arts and crafts shows aren't the types that try to rip you off -- unless you make jewelry -- which is a whole different ball game.

Back