• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Coring DVD

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
Reed I enjoyed your video. Am considering some of the suggestions you mention especially regrinding the knives and am wondering if the square grind might cause the blades to drift more. I find that what you do compares pretty close to how I do cores. Thanks for making it available.:)

Thank You Reed for the contribution of video. I too have the tool and have struggled with getting results to the point of putting back in the box and on the shelf. Your video pointed out some of the things I have been having trouble with.
Again Thank you very much:)

John,
I don't have a video on the Oneway. It is pretty simple to use, and I believe Oneway has a video out some where. It is pretty easy to figure out.

Fred, from my experimenting with all sorts of different grinds on the tips, they are not responsible for the drift. After years of using it, in my opinion which Kel strongly disagrees with, and Mike Mahoney last time I talked to him said, "Hmm, you might have some thing there" the drifting is caused by the very tip of the blade going straight rather than perfectly following the curve of the blade. I believe the blades are stamped, which gives a pretty accurate curve. The last 1 inch or so can't fit in the form due to the tip, so the tip goes straight. When coring, the blade will follow the tip, and not the curve of the blade. I have a couple that I have custom tweeked to turn the tip in a tiny bit. One actually drifts to the inside now. You can lay your blades on top of one of those plastic circle things with circles in 1 inch radius increments, and see just how accurate the bends. In earlier years, the bends were all over the place. Kel has fixed that, but the blades still drift. You should be able to aim by keeping the blade in the center of the kerf, but that is not possible with things the way they are now. I am looking into getting some custom blades made to further test this idea.

robo hippy

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
I like the idea of the coring tool, saves wood and time. I have been able most of the time to get a respectful job done but it is far from a sure thing.
Reed keep us posted on what you find out. Your you tube video was a lot of help.

Back