• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Coring blanks

What is the minimum size blank (8 X 4?) that one should attempt coring on. I'm thinking about a piece of mulberry at this writing.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
depends on what you want to end up with an any limitation with your coring system

When Mike Mahoney makes 14 nested bowls the smallest core is about 2"
I think he does the last 3 cores from a bowl about 4" diameter

generally there isn't much demand for bowls smaller than 10"

If you are looking at the time savings: 10" is probably the break even point for most folks. That is you can hollow with gouge faster than you can setup the coring system, core the bowl, and get back to finishing with the gouge.

-Al

Last edited:
Website
www.scrollsaws.com
Coring

My guess would be to core the smallest blank you think you can use. I think the Mcnaughten would core a 1" diameter core, but what would you use it for.
The better question might be back to you "What is the smallest peice of wood you can use".

You can core an 8x4. I know you’ve been turning for awhile but I don’t know if you are just starting out on the coring path. A production turner would probably tell you “an 8x4, that’s a waste of time†“I could turn that in …yada yada yada…However, if your objective is to get more comfortable with a new system, it’s not a bad place to start. As your blanks get bigger, your stash of small bowls grows exponentially. For the smaller bowls that you don’t feel you can use, take them to your club, folks just starting out or mini lathers would love to have them.
cc

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I suspect for a time/value thing, practice with a common/cheap/etc wood could be a good idea. Giving you the practice you might need to core a really great piece of wood that you don't want to waste.

A semi-related idea, a few years back (Portland AAW) I was eating lunch with a table full of "production" turners. At the end I excused myself to go to a rotation by Alan Lacer on skews, noting I really wanted to work and try and get skew work down (something I am still working on)

Two of the production turners expressed surprize that I wanted to learn something that would not make me "more" productive right away. I reminded them that as a hobbiest I could invest time in turning skills that didn't help now. Since this doesn't take my time away from earning my income. Something a production worker has more trouble justifying.

Last edited:
With an 8 x 4 inch blank, I would get one core, and maybe two if it was a really nice piece of wood. The final tiny core tends to be flat, and not generally worth the effort and time. I probably would not core an 8 x 3 inch blank. Most of the time savings when coring isn't on removing the core/wood from the inside of the bowl, it is when you go to shape the bottom of the core, all you have to do is clean it up as you already have the shape, and make a tenon or recess for reversing to take out the next core.

robo hippy

Back