• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cool video: semi-automated turning in Alaska

Looks like the process is identical to the New Holland Bowl Mill one that has been up for a long time. Interesting.

robo hippy

I was aware of that company when I lived (and turned) in Sitka AK. Never knew the process though. I now live in VT. There have been a number of bowl mills here that had very similar processes. Our turning group visited a turner who is the son of a renowned glass company, Simon pierce, and brother of Kevin Pierce who was the snow boarder who got severely injured in a half pipe competition. Andrew, the turner, has a pretty amazing operation with many of the same pieces of machinery. He does use a coring machine for the raw timber, but after drying in a kiln, all the bowls are hand turned by himself and 2 other full time turners. This includes sanding, just like we all do using 3" discs. He dips his bowls in walnut oil and let's them drip dry similar to what is shown in the video. He has a very nice showroom on the front of the shop and sells the bowls for prices a bit above what we might ask for them, but he has a pretty good location near Woodstock that brings in a lot of tourists and he also sells them in his dad's glass showrooms here in VT and the big cities.

Here is a link to his site with a video that shows his process

http://andrewpearcebowls.com

Last edited:
I am not a fan by any means of an automated process, I don't even like using a rig for hollowing. Seems to be manufacturing and not creating. I do like his prep setup before his machine turns them tho!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
It is just a beefed up version of the Woodcut coring system.

So at some level the the adjectives applied to the Great Alaskan Bowl company apply to cored bowls.

To me both would be hand made. To others both manufactured.
Al

Last edited:
Back