• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Converting a Delta Banjo for Midi Lathes

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I just posted this to the Woodcentral Turning Forum; since traffic is kind of 'slow' on this forum right now, I thought it would be OK to post it here as well, particularly if some do not participate in Woodcentral:

In addition to my Jet 1642-2HP lathe, I also have a Jet Mini lathe and a Jet 1220 lathe. As many already know, the banjo of most mini/midi lathes requires a tool rest with a 5/8" diameter post (which I think is a little small), and requires acquisition of dedicated tool rests with 5/8" posts. I own a number of tool rests (maybe 16 or so) of all different forms, but most of them have a 1" shaft, and thought they could be used on both of my smaller lathes if I could just get a banjo that takes a 1" post, which could possibly be converted to work on these midi/mini lathes.

This opportunity came with the arrival of the most recent catalog from Packard Woodworks (the one with Cindy Drozda's holly finial box on the cover). On the back inside cover there is a listing of Delta items being sold as a special closeout. One of these items is a Delta banjo [tool rest base] that accepts a 1" tool post designed for a 1-1/2" spacing between the ways; it is currently on sale for $ 39.95 from the regular price of $ 79.95 [Packard Catalog number: SP46-707; see the link HERE].

For an investment of $ 40 plus shipping I thought it would be worth it to try to convert this banjo for use on my smaller lathes, which have a 1-1/4" spacing between the ways. Not only did this work and work well, but the conversion was extremely easy, requiring perhaps 40 minutes if you take your time. This banjo works just fine on my Jet Mini and Jet 1220 lathes, and allows me to use many of my tool rests with 1" posts. I assume it could also be used with the new 12" Delta 46-460 lathe or the older Delta Midi (LA-200), but I don't know what the ways spacing is on these lathes.

To convert the Delta 46-707 banjo for use on the Jet 1014 or 1220 lathes (or others?) with 1-1/4" ways spacing the process is simple:

1. Remove the 3/8" nylon lock nut and washer from the banjo's threaded steel ring that encircles the eccentric clamp rod.

2. Place the cast metal clamp block in a vise with the keeper ribs upright. (These ribs are used to center the clamp block under the ways, and as received, are set for a 1-1/2" spacing.)

3. File approximately 1/8" off of each end of the clamp block ribs down to the level of the base. Ease the edges of the sliding surfaces to reduce binding possibilities and smooth the filed surfaces with steel wool or other fine abrasives. This cast metal is very easy to file, making this operation simple. Just don't take off too much too fast!!

4. Check to see that you have removed enough material to be sure the clamp block slides well between the ways of the lathe you intend to use it on. Be careful to "sneak-up" on fitting the clamp block to the ways so there is not excessive slop; if you remove too much material, or do so asymmetrically, the clamp block may twist and bind when it is moved.

5. Re-assemble the clamp block to the threaded steel ring (ribs up!), re-install the 3/8" nylon lock nut and washer, and adjust for optimal cam-locking performance.

Yes, the Delta banjo is thicker than the 'stock' banjo, and you may lose a little swing, but for hollowing and other specialized operations, having the 1" tool post option opens up many more possibilities of using a variety of different tool posts I already own without an additional investment in 5/8" versions.

I would have not posted this conversion tip if I knew there were only a small number of these tool rest bases available, but after calling Packard Woodworks I was told they have a "good number of these items left". Note that I am not employed with Packards, nor will I benefit monetarily from this recommendation. I am merely a happy customer of theirs for over a well over a decade, and thought others here might want to try this experiment as well. I am happy I did!

I hope others will be able to take advantage of this conversion and the sale price on a new banjo.

Happy Holidays!

Rob Wallace

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I did the opposite. I found a sale on Delta tool rests. I put them in the mill and used a boring bar cutter turned backwards to resize the shaft down to 5/8". Some of them were too tall to be really useful because they won't go down far enough. Most of them I was able to remove enough of the shaft and the bottom of the casting to make them work. I gave most of them away over the years but I think I still have one of the S curve ones.

Nice tip, and much appreciated. Nonetheless, I might have to take my Jet banjo somewhere to get a matching paint for that Delta piece :D.

Back