• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Colored MDF - turning material?

Has anyone successfully turned MDF? I ran across a fairly new product this week while at the Furniture Society conference in Victoria BC...colored MDF.

Here's a link to the manufacturer’s site: Spectratech

The sales rep I spoke to said he was not aware of anyone trying to turn it. I picked up some samples today and will have them with me at the AAW symposium in Portland next week. If anyone would like to have a look, let me know and I’ll bring them to the Friday night Special Interest Group penturners get together.

I've turned a lot for jam chucks, molds, stablizers and such. Glues nicely, turns very easy and it doesn't seem to be any harder on the tools than a lot of the tropical hardwoods we get down here in South Florida.

You will almost certainly want to use film rather than penetrating finishes. When I've used mdf for cabinets, I always made sure I sealed it really well before applying any stains or dyes to avoid splotches.

Never really considered it for a turning because there are so many other more interesting choices than currently available uncolored MDF. If it was available in colors at a reasonable price, I could think of a lot of great applications in turning.

Ed

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Like Ed, I've used it for fixtures and never considered it for objects. Have to look at the dyed MDF.

It should turn fine, but I'd be careful with finishing. Don't use anything that penetrates even a molecule deep. MDF has a bad habit of coming apart as soon as moisture gets into the fibers.

The colored stuff should be interesting. It might be worth a try.

Ed,

A fellow club member pick-up some colored MDF samples that were 5.25 square and .75 thick. He cut it into pen blanks and made some interesting pens.

As for other engineered woods. My work puts me in contact with variuos trade associations related to industrial woodworking. For a freind at the CPA, Composite Panel Association, I made a layered bowl of MDF, particle board and hardboard. It looked OK with oil finish but it was unpleasant to turn.

Frank

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Charlie Harley said:
It should turn fine, but I'd be careful with finishing. Don't use anything that penetrates even a molecule deep. MDF has a bad habit of coming apart as soon as moisture gets into the fibers.
I use MDF for vacuum chucks and seal it with lacquer (cut %50 with thinner) with no issues. Never had any separation issues. I could see how particle board could be an issue, but MDF probably only with water based finishes.

I have also turned mdf for fixtures etc. My only suggestion is to please wear good face mask and filter your breathing. The dust from mdf is very toxic to your respiratory system and should be avoided. At least that is what I have been told. Should anyone have a difference of opinion here, I would like to hear them. Thanks.

I've use it for chucks and jigs, found that Super Glue (CA) is a great finish to seal the surface for vacuum chucks, etc.

Back