• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

cole jaws

question is, which cole jaws are best to use for my lathe it has a 12" swing. most of my bowls are in the 10" range and i would like a better looking foot.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
ryan34 said:
question is, which cole jaws are best to use for my lathe it has a 12" swing. most of my bowls are in the 10" range and i would like a better looking foot.

Ryan....

I have both the Nova chuck and Oneway stronghold chucks with the cole jaws. The Oneway will be too big to fit your 12" swing.....but, if I'm not mistaken, there is a smaller size of cole jaws available for the Oneway. Check on this.

The Nova is the right size for your lathe. It will fit up to a 10" dia bowl on the expand mode, and up to a 9 9/16" dia bowl on the contraction mode.

Minimum diameters for the Nova cole jaw chuck are 2 5/8" dia on contraction, and 4" dia on the expand mode.

I have been using both of these chucks with cole jaws for about 15yrs now, and my impression of both is very positive.

otis of cologne

BTW: here's a pic of the Nova and Oneway with cole jaws.....

Attachments

• Cole jaws, Nova and One Way strong hold (2).jpg
    Cole jaws, Nova and One Way strong hold (2).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Ryan.....

I've been checking out the CSUSA site, and the Jumbo jaws specs for the Oneway stronghold chuck is a little confusing to me. Maybe my set of cole jaws are no longer available, because it lists them for a maximum of 12" on the expansion mode, and 11" on compression.

I just went out to the shop and measured for myself, and the rim of my Oneway cole jaws will expand to the full 16", which is the maximum I can handle from my lathe. Although it will expand to 16", the maximum bowl diameter I can grip is about 14 1/8".

Even when compressed all the way, the cole jaw rim is still about 14 3/8" in diameter.....so my Oneway cole jaws wouldn't work on your lathe.

Anyway, I see there is a smaller set of cole jaws available for the Oneway. That one ought to work for you....if you choose to go that route. If you go by the specs provided, it will handle up to a 10 1/8" bowl on expansion and 8 1/8" on contraction.

Let me know how I can help. I can provide further measurments, or whatever.

-----------------

Overall, the cole jaws are a great alternative to sanding the bottoms flat....and less expensive and troublesome than a vacuum chuck. (Although I'm considering putting together a vacuum chuck someday!)

....odie dog

ryan34 said:
I bought the nova mini jaws on the advice from woodcraft and they are too small guess I will have to go larger but will they bang on the bed of the lathe when I'm turning.

odie

TOTW Team
ryan34 said:
I bought the nova mini jaws on the advice from woodcraft and they are too small guess I will have to go larger but will they bang on the bed of the lathe when I'm turning.

As I understand it, the mini cole jaws are intended for mini-lathes. This isn't what you want at all. If it's what Woodcraft talked you into buying, I'd talk to them and see if they'll refund, or give credit toward another purchase.

The larger set of Nova cole jaws is what you want.

If your lathe has a 12" swing, the Nova jaws won't interfere with your bed ways.

What kind of lathe do you have? A pic would be nice. Maybe there's something I'm missing in your inquiry.

....odie

Last edited:
odie said:
As I understand it, the mini cole jaws are intended for mini-lathes. This isn't what you want at all. If it's what Woodcraft talked you into buying, I'd talk to them and see if they'll refund, or give credit toward another purchase.

If your lathe has a 12" swing, the Nova jaws won't interfere with your bed ways.

What kind of lathe do you have? A pic would be nice. Maybe there's something I'm missing in your inquiry.

....odie
odie I have the rikon midi lathe. I am going to return the jaws I purchased and get the larger set. thanks for the input

odie said:

....odie
odie I have the rikon midi lathe. I am going to return the jaws I purchased and get the larger set. thanks for the input

you would never use cole jaws again if you built yourself a longworth chuck. a recent issue of woodturning design had one version. it can be made any side you desire. bob davis

Own, but seldom use the jaws. Decided that I didn't need any more on a base than a smoothed hold and a groove or two, and I do them in conjunction with the mortise.

Lots of stuff on Longworth chucks on the web, if you're hot to do one. http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lwc-wtm.htm for example. Then there are vacuum types to consider.

Back