• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Club Libraries

Just wondering how different clubs have structured their turning libraries, both written and visual? Do members still check out books and dvd's? Is there a problem with "Ghost returns"? Any problems with storage from meeting to meeting? Has anyone converted their dvd's to "on line" through their website? Would really appreciate suggestions and feedback from this knowledgeable group.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
For many years, we've had a library in a cabinet that stays at our meeting location. We've got books and purchased DVDs and recordings of club demos. There's a notebook for checking things out (during a meeting), and a slot in the cabinet so they can be returned between meetings. We also have a lot of our club demos on line. The honor system for checkouts has worked well enough - we have lost a few things, but not really significant (I think most of the losses happen when we loose a member due to moving or death).

Since COVID started, we hadn't had any significant library use. We also significantly enhanced our audio/video and internet capability. So we took everything out and re-purposed the cabinet for our A/V/Internet gear. The library now lives in a couple of tubs at the librarian's house, and there's an inventory list on our web site. Checkouts now happen via arranging things with the librarian (like to bring a specific title to the meeting).

The plan is to give that a year or so and see how it goes and what the members think, then decide where to go from there. Maybe we decide we need to replace the cabinet. Or maybe we just auction off the library (or part of it) to raise funds for grants. Or something in between, we shall see...

Much similar to what Dave said. Honor system with notebook for check out and in. Stored in a large rolling tool box. WE have both print and video . Several years ago we auctioned off the VHS tapes and about 2 years later culled the books because of lack of interest by members to half also.

Until we moved to current location Librarian had library at home. Now I would say there is very little use of the library at all. Most of this stuff is available online with links on webpage to much more literature. We have not started putting video links on web page but there are links to meeting videos available to members only on the web.

I looked at converting dvds but there are copyright problems with doing that.

A club could set up a private channel and archive videos on YouTube or a similar type of website which can easily be accessed by members online.

Our 'structure' is 2 nice wood boxes made by one of our members. We have books in one and dvds in the other. Our meeting facility is a school, so during the school year, they are brought out at meetings and then put back in the closet. During the summer, they live in my living room. In the 6 or so years I've been the secretary/librarian, no one has checked anything out during the summer. Our frequency of checking material out has declined over those years and is fairly rare at this point, even though we've had a good flow of new turners over the last few years. Probably covid has impacted things as well, but I suspect a lot of folks are getting their needs met by Youtube. Or at least they think they're getting their needs met. We have old fashioned library cards in a manila card pocket in each item and the card gets filed in a 3X5 card file box upon check out.

Any more I see no new woodturning DVDs being made. My own club got rid of the case that held the library and the contents are boxed I guess somewhere. That library was used quite extensively until they put a $20 fee to take a DVD out (you got your money back when you returned it) but that scuttled the use of the library. Then with the pandemic there were no club meetings and this brought forth the Zoom demos. In the last two years I have watched over 200 of them and many are better than DVDs that have been made. There is no one better at this than Cindy Drozda who has mastered the art of the online demo. Now after 3 online symposiums I'm about over these (I still will do Cindy's once in a while). My plan is now to do 4 symposiums this year (Chattanooga, SWAT, Lancaster and Cincinnati (Cincy will always be my favorite as it was my first). I still use my own personal library of DVDs but I'm not so sure this is going to be a club thing in the future.

We also have seen less library activity in recent months and I agree with Bill...Cindy D is one of the best online demonstrators. Wondering...what kind of response have y'all had to dedicated U-tube channels? Second...how much difficulty have you had converting older material to compatible media?

The oldest stuff we had were a few VHS tapes and we converted them to DVDs many years ago. The whole video library is on DVDs.

We also have seen less library activity in recent months and I agree with Bill...Cindy D is one of the best online demonstrators. Wondering...what kind of response have y'all had to dedicated U-tube channels? Second...how much difficulty have you had converting older material to compatible media?
We have a YouTube channel but not for the library dvd as that is copyright infringement. We put many of our demos on the channel with some restricted to members only and some open for all viewers. We started this in 2020 probably spurred by Covid19 and more than just the club is viewing as we have only had 50 to 65 members since that time. Views for restricted videos are in the 20 to 25 range and others are in the 70 count range.

I have not had direct comment from members but I use the numbers to attest to this being an effective tool .

Ensuring members return items they have borrowed from the club can be a challenging issue
A possible solution could be to get the member to sign a book to signify they have borrowed a particular item eg book, DVD, or tool

Then take the additional step of asking the member to hold the item in front of thier chest and take a photograph using a mobile phone
The image can then be kept on the club website so the club has an evidence trail of who has the item

Please see video below

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yrVXBxPshU&ab_channel=ToolReviewZone

Last edited:
We have an extensive library of magazines and books and some DVD's but I think mostly ignored. Don't get me wrong but the internet has killed printed material of this type in woodturning, woodworking and just about every other hobby. We keep putting our library out at each meeting but at some point it's going to dissapear.

Back