• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cloud paint techniques

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I originally found it here. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cosmic+cloud+painting Then I bought some paints and started learning. What I learned was the dilution of the paints with the Extender is not critical at all. roughly 50/50 is a good starting point. I also leaned that itt shows up really well on black, barely at all on light maple. This can be a godsend if your not good at keeping the paint within the line. There have been some fun new experiments online that I've found. One is instead of blowing it around use a balloon to sort of smear it. Very cool patterns. Gonna try that later this week if I get time. Using wood burning tools to create the black areas was magical when I found that. You can see that technique in the angels. Masking off areas similar to what you would do with an air brush also opened a whole new thing for me. see the mirror that I call Faux Abilone.

Attachments

• Photo 13 testing paints copy.jpg
    Photo 13 testing paints copy.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Photo 16 Abalone mirror copy.jpg
    Photo 16 Abalone mirror copy.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 185
  • Photo 17 beaded angels copy.jpg
    Photo 17 beaded angels copy.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 175

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
When you use the extender and apply a fair amount of paint it has a lot of open time so I think there are a lot of ways to move the paint. I use sponge painting techniques with regular paint but it should work with the irridescent paints as well. One thing that might be fun is to use the air brush to apply the black paint and let it fade into the light colored wood. Then when you apply the iridescent paints they would go from very strong and bold to very mild. I see a hand mirror coming soon.

I originally found it here. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cosmic+cloud+painting Then I bought some paints and started learning. What I learned was the dilution of the paints with the Extender is not critical at all. roughly 50/50 is a good starting point. I also leaned that itt shows up really well on black, barely at all on light maple. This can be a godsend if your not good at keeping the paint within the line. There have been some fun new experiments online that I've found. One is instead of blowing it around use a balloon to sort of smear it. Very cool patterns. Gonna try that later this week if I get time. Using wood burning tools to create the black areas was magical when I found that. You can see that technique in the angels. Masking off areas similar to what you would do with an air brush also opened a whole new thing for me. see the mirror that I call Faux Abilone.

John, can you elaborate on the “ball” technique? Gary, that is the same experience I had when I used it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I havent tried the balloon technique yet. I plan on it this week. I'm using the JoSanjo paints and they may be different. My friend Jake Neidling is using the chromo craft I'll have to ask him. With my paints when you blow them around it thins them out and you see more black through which kind of dulls the colors.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Gary.. are you using floor extender or some such thing with the paints. It needs it to be able to spread. The balloon technique is where they take a balloon and smear the paint vs blowing it around with a straw or airbrush.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Again I'm using JoSanjo brand but I mix the paint 50/50 with Flo Extender. It comes out of the tubes fairly thick. Just called my friend Jake who has been using the Chromocraft. He said he shook the bottles up the first time before he opened them and everything seemed to be OK. That was a year ago and he is still using them and hasn't seen any problem with settling. Jake is like me. He has used them straight out of the bottle for some techniques and with flo extender if he wants to blow them around. I will be doing experiments tomorrow with the Balloon technique if I can get time so I'll have more answers about that in a day or so.

John,
When you mask an area off with the tape, do you then burn right through the tape with your wood burning tool (to make the shape of the area you want to burn) and then take it further to burning the wood within that ‘window’? Or do you cut the holes out in the tape first, then burn within that little area?
Thanks in advance for some further information.

Back