• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Close up work problem

When I turn (or destroy) small things like finials; I have a problem seeing what I'm doing. I have prescription reading glasses, but they just don't magnify enough. I have plenty of light but just can't see the small parts very well. Resulting in much cursing and tomfoolery at the lathe.

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
I have prescription bi-focal safety glasses for general work. For finials I have a headset with multiple power lenses (similar to jewelers). Only problem is I often end up closer to lathe then is comfortable.

I've been researching myself because of a similar problem and what I've found is you can only go up to I believe a 1x magnification to keep a "good" distance from what you are looking at. Otherwise if you get into the higher magnification you have to be closer to get the item in focus.

Haven't bought any yet myself, just what I've been reading various places. My problem is I wear prescription glasses and a face shield so I'm running out of room for other things. need to put a respirator under there someday as well.

I have an eye appointment later in the month and planned on asking the doctor what he recommends. I know I wear a different set of glasses for working on the computer so maybe I can get that prescription bumped up I don't know.

Same problem John. I normally wear 3x safety glasses while turning. When I get down to the very small detail work I wear them over my normal 2x reading glasses for 5x magnification. I'm sure I look pretty goofy but it solves my problem.

The ones I referred to in my post here, come with different lenses and are used by Carvers doing fine details, like hair or feathers etc.

They can be worn for hours at a time without fatigue, build in and adjustable light, very light weight, no need to have your face right up close of the work.

woodcarvers magnitying glasses.jpg

I'm going to try the optivisors. Thanks all for some very good information! Yes, I go to the VA for my eye exams; I was told they didn't know. How surprising

I can't find my receipt, but several years ago I got some full lens magnifying safety glasses. I just couldn't handle bifocals! I love these. I don't know exactly how strong they are - I believe the brand is Delta Plus. They fit easily under my Versaflow helmet. Works great for me. Enough magnification that my pathetic aging eyes can see the details, not so much that I'm getting dizzy or headachey.

Hi John I wear glasses and also have the same problem as you do . I bought a head st of optivisor as Len has shown in his photo. The only difference is that mine has two different powered magnifiying glass in it plus a safety glass on the outer edge., It also has a small very bright LED light. is not hard to use and I can wear it for hours with out any problem.
I bought mine from a store that sells all types of electrical and visual aids.
this is much better than the magnifying glass on a boom with a light in it.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
What I would suggest is first go to your local dollar store, drug store, walmart, etc where you may find a display of cheap reading glasses, then try them on size by size (1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2 diopter, so on) until you find a couple pairs that let you see and read small print at the focal distance where you approximate your lathe work to be at.... buy those (plus one diopter stronger) - they're fairly cheap most displays (like $8.99 to $12.99 or thereabouts I imagine) and pretty flimsy, but the reason is you want to go through the motions of turning fine details at the lathe with each of the pairs for a half hour or so each and see what feels most comfortable (not fitment wise, but vision/headache wise - squinting for long periods you may find you get headaches after..) Though if you have good vision coverage plan, you could get an actual optometrist/opthalmologist to do the same thing, possibly for less money/co-pay than you'd spend on cheap readers...

Once you find one or two dipoter lenses that work for you, you can go and look up safety glasses (amazon has a huge selection - I got 3M Brand bifocal) with those magnifications desired, and you should be in pretty good shape. I got prescription bifocals myself (aging etc) back in late 2021, and the prescription turned out to have the same diopter magnification as the safety glasses I had been wearing. (My long vision is still 20/20, but can't read normal print up close any more)

Of course, if you find the optivisor comfortable (I have one too and use it sometimes for cutting dovetails on flatwork and similar precision detail) enough to ear all day with face shield/papr then that would work nicely too.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I can't find my receipt, but several years ago I got some full lens magnifying safety glasses. I just couldn't handle bifocals!
Me too. Can't stand the bifocals. I have a couple pairs of full reader safety glasses I got from amazon.
Everybody's eyes are different, so there's no one-size-fits-all solution for everyone.
The best thing for me was getting safety readers from my eye doc. My eyes are slightly different, so they matched each lens to that eye. They're just safety glasses with reader lenses, and more pricy than amazon. But being able to focus both eyes on the work (depth perception) is great.
When I need to see closer, I have a pair of cheap higher magnification readers from the drug store (I'd put clear safety's over these if I were turning). I've also sometimes put a pair of lower magnification readers under my safety readers, which also works.

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who has trouble with bifocals. I got the Delta/Elvex brand that Steve mentioned, but when I went to get a second set, they didn't have the strength I needed and I took a chance on a different brand, which are at least as good as the Delta. Full lens safety readers:
first ones
Second ones

Keep in mind that inherently, the stronger the magnification, the shorter the focal length, i.e. the closer you have to be to the work. At the lathe, this can be a challenge.

I do a lot of close up work. Up until recently I used an Opti visor then I found some magnifying glasses on amazon. I ordered two pair of the 6x and they work great!
They were very reasonably priced (two pair for $20) They are light weight and very durable. Just don't go wandering around with those things on. :-}

MagEyes is another brand that comes with different lens to change the magnification, and allows for a decent working distance. I use them for carving with an RZ mask, but haven't figured out how to wear them with a face shield

I have never thought of wearing a face mask with my optivisor as th one that i have has a safety lens in front of the magnified lens. When turning our NZ native timber I wear a face mask so as to avoid breathing in the toxic dust.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Bright light! (LED or halogen spot on a gooseneck fixture that you can point exactly where you need it) and an Optivisor. The real lenses in an Optivisor are worth the higher cost to me; too much distortion in the less expensive cast plastic ones.

I totaly agree Roger about the cheap lens my optivisor has a pair of good quality lens and a LED spot light so that when fitted on your head correctly the light shines exactly where you are looking. I wouldnt be with out it now as my eye sight is getting really bad due to cancer behind my eyes

Back