• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cleaning up old chisels

I need to rejuvenate a number of chisels that have sat unused for many years. Most of them were my Dad's, he did his own grinding by eye and, honestly, he wasn't great at it. I don't know how he produced all the segmented bowls he did with the way these tools were ground but then he could make anything work.
Anyway, before I regrind the tools, some of them have some rust that I want to remove. I don't know what the metal is but I know its not carbide. Some of the tools are from an old Craftsman set and some are older Woodcraft chisels.
Is there anything I should be aware of, as far as using chemical rust remover, when cleaning the tools?
Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
For the gouges I would polish the flutes with a sip stone to reopen any pits.
I do this occasionally on my gouges just so I’m grinding the cutting edge against a smooth surface.

I would try Sanding the tools with WD 40. This will get the tools smooth enough to slide well on the tool rest.

I would start with a wire wheel on a high speed grinder. This is what I do with old hand planes and plane irons. This makes it easier to see how much damage there is. Next steps can be emery paper and some WD 40 or other oils. It kind of depends....

robo hippy

Maybe more important than rust is what type of steel you've got. If it's not High Speed Steel, you'll have to be very careful when sharpening, and avoid bluing the steel. Essentially all turning tools sold new today are made from High Speed Steel, or some variations that are even more durable and tolerant of heat.

This is a great reason to connect with a mentor from your local woodturning club. Doing so can help you stay safe, and make gains in your turning skill at a dramatically faster rate than watching Youtube videos and learning on your own. You can find your local club on the AAW main website (woodturner.org, click on chapters, click on "Find a...")

Try Apple Cider Vinegar soak. Only do this about 30 minutes at a time as if left overnight there will be lots less steel there. I have not had any ill effects except that it can leave a dark patina on some steels. It sure beats all that scrubbing and wire brushing. You will need to wash off with soap and water . Oil the after you dry it off.

Back