• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cleaning face shields and plastic lenses on safety glasses.....

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
My face shield has become a little cloudy from long term use. The one on my Airstream helmet isn't as good either, but something needs to be done about the face shield. I've avoided paper towels, but am using a clean rag and Windex. It just isn't as clear as I remember it once was.......probably just built up shop residue that doesn't dissolve with the Windex.

I am doing the same for plastic lenses safety glasses, and my personal spectacles are glass lens......so, no problem there. :cool2:

Is there a safe way to restore this face shield, and other shop plastic lenses.......or will I have to replace it?

What do you use?

Give us your opinions, tips, and recommendations please......

ooc

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Hi Odie:

For scratched lenses I have used the Novus 3 plastic restorer, applying it with a T-shirt cotton cloth, and buffing-out with a dry cloth. If the lens on my full-face shield (with chin protector; by Sellstrom) is really badly scratched, I just replace it (about $ 12) - this usually happens about every 18-24 months, sometimes longer). I really hate not being able to see what I'm working on, and refuse to "go face commando" (i.e. without a face shield) when I am roughing, second turning, etc., so replacing a face shield lens every other year or so is a small price to pay for a good view of what I'm doing. Tree sap can be washed-off easily if gotten while "fresh"; just don't let this stuff dry on the plastic - a major PITA to get it off without scratching the lens....

For routine cleaning of my face shield (inside and out) I use a cotton cloth (e.g. a used T-shirt) and moisten it lightly with Armor-All Protectant (the kind used on automobile interiors). I clean-off all accumulated wood dust, etc. and then buff-out the inside and outside surfaces with the slightly-moistened cloth. The surface clears nicely, and the small amount of Armor-All material left on the plastic surface seems to fend-off dust accumulation (...perhaps due to reduction of static electricity?). It also reduces fogging inside the shield; I have done the experiment (half treated; half not), and this does work to keep fogging down, at least for me.

One word of warning - the "bubble" face shield sold by Craft Supplies has an anti-fog surface treatment on it that can be easily damaged by use of any kind of plastic cleaner, water, or other liquid. Don't try to use anything but what they recommend for cleaning this shield. I bought one of these for my son, and we're now on our second lens due to a non-recommended cleaning procedure I used on the first lens. It rendered the shield useless until a new lens could be ordered.

Good Luck!

Rob Wallace

Last edited:
Rob's use of Armor All works well but I use it a bit differently. This is what I learned from Jamie Donaldson. Moisten a soft rag VERY WELL with the Armor All on all surfaces and set it to "dry"...that is let it out gas. When it's dry you'll still be able to feel the product on the rag. Use this to clean face shields, glasses and such. Store in a zip lock bag and renew the Armor All when it seems necessary. It's working great for me.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Thanks Tex, Barry, Robert, David, Rob, and Griesbach.......

Until Barry's post, I didn't put 2+2 together.......! :eek:

As a matter of fact, I had some Novus plastic cleaner all along, but it was in my Harley Davidson kit.

I tried it on the face shield this morning and it works well. There are some minor scratches, but not too bad yet. I also have some stronger Novus that probably has some abrasive in it......it's intended to take scratches out of Harley windshields. When things get bad enough, I'll resort to that. :D

Thanks for the help gentlemen......sometimes I just need to see things from a little different perspective......and, you all have done that for me a number of times! :cool2:

This is why I enjoy the AAW forum so much. I'm not here to teach you what I know (although, I'm happy to help out other turners when I can). I'm here to tweak my skills and learn from other points of view. I don't necessarily always agree with all the advice given in the forum, but I'm ALWAYS interested in hearing other points of view......

OK......I guess I rambled a little bit there........thanks for the tip on the Novus.

ooc

Harbour Frt's vinyl cleaner

This product does an excellent job of everyday cleaning that does not require an abrasive. Be sure that you allow it to thoroughly dry before final polishing.

Website
www.carolevalentine.com
Be careful if you have an anti-fog shield. I have a Uvex faceshield, which I love, and I destroyed the coating on the lens by using a wipe that had alcohol in it but did not state that on the package. I now only use Uvex Clear which is alcohol and silicone free and made especially for the anti-fog coatings. I got both the shield and the Uvex cleaner from Bruce at The Sanding Glove.

Cleaner

These are all probably good suggestions--esp. for restoring. But on daily basis I use the simplest solution of spraying the isopropyl lens cleaner in small bottle from Rite Aid or nearest store in sufficient amounts to clean with paper towel all the sap and particles. Has been fine for several years and never needed to replace the shield of full face with chin guard sold by highland woodworking www.tools-for-woodworking.com. Brad

Back